Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key on the fuel light(s) don't light up. The bulbs are good, the wiring looks OK, I changed the rectifier...what's the problem? And can anyone tell me why there are 2 fuel lights in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LIGHTS

Just curious about the ECU checking...boot up, it may be so fast that you just don't see it...to really check it out take a SIPHON HOSE AND DRAIN IT ALL INTO A GAS CAN! It's tough to go by the trip meter all the time..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to on the oil light and the fuel light are supposed to light up before even starting it up. The oil light does but not the fuel light. the srevice manual says to check the bulbs (I did), the wiring (looks good), the rectifier (replaced it) and the oil pressure switch. I haven't checked that yet but what should I be looking for with that? The manual only says how to remove and replace it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
EASY

The easiest check that you can do is to just drain the gas. It is a guarantee that it is or itn't working...reguardles of what the book says or what diagrams you are looking at...sometimes the fastest way and direct approach is the best...no gas is just that...NO GAS! Try it before you make a large issue out of perhaps nothing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help but I already found out the hard way when I bought the bike last year....I ran out of gas...with no warning whatsoever LOL.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GAS

I didn't know that ....sorrry... Then I'd be pulling the tank and looking for the sensors...it would have to be the tank itself and not some unit unless the wires are broken somewhere or not connected... do you have the wiring diagram? YOu should be able to just follow the circuits,,,and you should be able to find the sensor on the fuel tank...I'll leave this one to someone better informed, but I sure would like to know in the end what you find to be the problem...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me know what you find out

I had my bike stored for about 1 1/2 years and everything worked fine (fuel lights). I wanted to remove the little bit of rust that formed inside and cleaned the inside w/ice cubes shaken inside to break up the rust. Guy at the dealership recommended it over bb's or bolts b/c it is easier to get out and don't risk loosing on in there.
Got the rust and water out but now my fuel lights won't turn off!
Full tank and empty lights are on!

I'll post any more info I get when I go back to the shop tomorrow.

D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GAS LIGHT

Drain the gas. Remove the tank and remove the sensor with the wire that attaches to it. Then clean it with wd-40 and then blow it dry and test it by placing it in a little cup of gas to see that it is working, if not then you may need another sensor...or just remove it and see just how far you can go without hitting reserve and remember to always reset your trip meter when you fill up...it dowsn't take much of a small rust particle to cause the light to come on...you may want to flush the tank with some diesel first, then dump it and test the light. I'd let some diesel stay in my tank to furthere clean my tank and install a fuel filter in line to kep any contaminants from fouling your carbs. Run some Marvel Mystery Oil through your gas tank all summer or just add a little 2 stroke oil to the gas everytinme you fill it. It will lubricate your top end of the motor and it will prevent any further rusting of your tank...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts