Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Im new to this board, and have a question for you. I have a 93 Bayou 400. I recently changed out timing chain, water pump seals, rocker arms. Put it all back together and now the clutch is slipping bad. Before the clutch was rock solid. Ive tried to adjust it with a little help but still slips. Any ideas? I did have to remove both clutchs to replace the timing chain, but put them back on without removing any of the clutch disks, just had to remove the pressure plate to get to the shaft nut holding the clutch on. We've always ran regular oil in it and thats what it has in it right now. Could that be causing it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Regular automobile oil has friction modifiers in it that aren't suitable for wet clutches. It causes the paper clutches to swell and the centrifugal clutch to slip.

You need to purchase "motorcycle oil" made for wet clutches. Valvoline motorcycle oil is a popular choice sold at most large auto parts stores (advance, autozone, o'reillys) Or you can travel to your local dealership and purchase Kawasaki brand oil from them. Other than the oil issue, you may have something installed incorrectly on your secondary clutch preventing it from engaging properly. Either way, don't drive it with a slipping clutch any more than is required to diagnose the problem or you'll be buying new clutch parts and about 4 oil changes in a row to get the contamination out of the motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just picked up some of the valvoline, I had seen other posts talking about it. Im going to pull the cover off and inspect everything make sure it installed right then go with the new oil.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you have a service manual to make sure you have everything in order under that cover? If so, go for it!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Clean the clutches out with kerosene and then coat them with the new oil. Then once you start it up after refilling it with the new stuff, you'll be ready to roll immediately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well went home, pulled it apart after checking that I could push right through the clutch in 5th gear. The disk between the friction disks had a kinda scale on them. Little steel wool came right off back down to the metal. Cleaned the disks along with the friction disk, which were still in good shape. Put it back together and slid the tires when I pushed it again. Took it down the street holds great. Going to try to go ride this weekend then come back and change the oil again. Finish flushing everythign out. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well took bayou out for a spin after christmas. Couse couldnt tell much about the clutch slipping or not. We got about 8 inches of snow christmas eve. But it was fun to get back out in the snow with it. Its an old 4wheeler but I think it has a few more good years left in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts