Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993( i think, not sure just got it and cant find year tag but thats ehat the guy dsaid it was) 300 bayou 4wd. It had been sitting at a buddy of mines house for ab 6 months. I brought it home to try and start it and got nothing. So i started tinkering and found out there was a poor connection at the coil. I remedied that and got spark but it was weak, so i replaced the plug and now have good spark. I then finally got it to hit but still no start so i took the carb off to clean it. i found that there had been muddy water in the carb due to the film in the bottom of the bowl from where it had dried. I started taking the rest of the carb apart only to find more dirty parts so i cleaned the entire thing and when i started to reassemble it i found that the diaphram on top of the slide would not go back into its groove because it is swollen. I have already tried putting it in the freezer where i left it for all night and half the day but it still will not seat back into its groove. i have heard that it must seat perfectly or it will not run. the diaphram is in good shape other than that and i really dont want to put 126 dollars into a new slide+diaphram. Any suggestions to this issue? btw this is the keihin 32mm CVK carb

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but it's a moot point now. :D
Really? Depends how much it is swollen. I soaked an o-ring in pb blaster to see if it would swell and it did. But after a few days the swelling went down when it dried out some.

Btw, have you winterized your bike yet? We still getting decent riding weather here.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Btw, have you winterized your bike yet? We still getting decent riding weather here.
Yep, she's safely tucked away for the winter. We haven't been out of the low 40's for the last several days and don't expect to see much above the 50's between now and spring. I know there will be some days but I hate for it to sit that many days unprepared and I'm a wus when it comes to cold rides. I don't have a windscreen and it's not enjoyable for me if I have to get all wrapped up just to ride.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
We had a 40s dip for 2 or 3 days and now back in the 60s for a few days. Besides I have not been riding all summer like you so will hit those 50s and 60s when I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told at the kaw shop that they would swell up over the years. They also told me that if i put it in the freezer that it would shrink to its original size but no luck with that. I found a new carb on ebay for like 120 bucks but it was not the same as the original carb and they said i would have to drill out the hole for the throttle cable like 20 thousandths of an inch, has anybody done this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts