Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 93 ZX6 e and got it running. It would not idle at all till I clean the jets out (Chemtool spray) without removing them from the carb. Now it idles at 1.5k but it is very inconsistent sometimes it will rev around 6k and other times it idles so slow it dies. Adjusting the idle up seems to make it rev high more often. The carbs were professionally cleaned 2 years ago but then it set up right after. The fuel air mixture screws are all out around 3.25 to 3.0 turns which I also thought was high. Any ideas guys this thing is embarrassing at a light LOL!??

·
Registered
605 Posts
may be wrong but if your throttle is groggy too then you may need some fresh fuel in there? my bike ran like that with stale gas.

Another small Idea is to let the bike warm up a bit, once it idles good without stalling then you are good to go

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Factory twist is 3.5 to 4 turns out I think. I've seen them adjusted down to 2.5 at the lowest. Are you at sea level? Your pilot screw may be worn or damaged on the carbs. That would be another reason why the fluctuations.

If you had old gas in the tank and did not drain it - again another reason for fluctuations.

When you took the carbs and cleaned them, did you check to see if the butterfly valves were not hanging up - open and close freely?

It sounds more like the valve being stuck and letting go though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleared all the gas out of the tank and carbs plus I ran techron through them so it isn't gas I think. I think the butterfly's might be the issue. I might have my throttle setup to loose so they dont close all the time? Also I have noticed a mid speed miss 4k to 6k or so that I didn't pick up because the carbs were clogged up. This may be plugs though I'm not sure..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check your plugs cause they are easy to get to. Your jet could be clogged. Double check that you do not have any vacuum leaks and every thing is sealed well. Petcock, airbox, vacuum lines etc.

You are on the right track with the throttle cable and the butterfly valves more than likely though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts