Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
im pretty new to this site so bear with me.
i have a 93 zx7r im on my second engine(im very abusive rider).
it has 28,000 miles on it. and i dont want to buy a new bike.
does anyone know if a 900 motor will swap right in my frame.
if not can you direct me to anyone who has done this.
they look identical i know 93-95 750 L motors are the same but im not sure of other years. the zx9 engine looks identical. im not worried about electronics and carbs just physically bolting in.
thanks great site
eddie

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have heard they are almost a direct bolt in, My bike is older, it's an '87, The orriginal owner had a big bore kit installed, now it is 932cc, completely diffirent bike than stock now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i belive it is a direct bolt in. but im not sure what years.
i know 93-95 zx7 are all the same and then something changed in 96
i think it was just cosmetic cuz most of the parts are the same.from what the magazines say from 93 on up it was just updating the same bike.
so how do i find out for sure before i spend all the money.
theres got to be a parts list or something.

·
Registered
191 Posts
it has been done but the 9 is a very tight fit. if you are as abbusive as you say and you need to work on the motor(or get to the plugs) you probobly wont be happy. but i think it is a straight forward swap. the output shaft on the 9 i think is wider then the 7 and you will need to shim your rear sprocket out(maybe). the 7 motor is strong. somethings not right if you keep having to swap them. How did the last one go up?

matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first one went with a rod bearing when the oil feed line came loose.
the second one the teath are rounded in second gear it kinda hicups when any amount of throttle is added. keep in mind i have 28000 plus miles on this bike i def got my moneys worth.its notthat the 7 isnt strong.i just want more if i have to swap an engine anyway may as well go bigger.

·
Registered
191 Posts
sorry man, sounds like you are unlucky:).

like was said the 9 can be done and i dont think there is that much custom fabbing. i could be wrong about the sproket. definately would be a boost in power and performance but like i said it becomes a bit of a pain to work on a few things .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man walked into my work today and asked whos bright green bike was that . i said mine we talked and his 19 yr old son took it for a ride.
i got 2500. wasnt even for sale. anyone got a nice sport bike from 95 and up 750 or 1000 they wanna sell for 2500 or so? now what do i do with my newly bought on ebay pirrelei diablos?

im so depressed waaahhh

hell the bike was beat
ill go buy a zx9r
off to ebay.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A 94-97 B model ZX9R engine will bolt in. There are a few things you will need to change i.e. oil line rad. bracket, upper engine mounts ect... I would just get the kit from BRG Racing. I hear their conversion kit is the ****, and makes everything a lot easier.

Here is some other links that might be of interest.

http://redmonkey.com/7r/messages.php?msg=3056.1

And someone was asking about a 9R engine in a 93.

http://redmonkey.com/7r/?msg=13.1

If your not a member of the Redmonkey site your missing out. It is beyond a doubt the best source of info for 7R's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i was mistaken, i was thinking the 93 came with a 5.5 inch rim for some reason. and for some reason i was thinking the revamp came in 94, my mistake. i was a year off with the whole mess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts