Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've gotten about halfway done with the installation - I'm still waiting for a shift pedal to come, probably around next Friday. The good news is, I've been taking pictures and writing as I do the work, so I've got about half a guide finished as well. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you would give it a quick read-through to see if you can find any errors, incorrect information, or anything you feel would be beneficial to add. I would especially like comments on the section about bleeding the brakes - that's where I'm least confident. Thanks!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/adsmith4/EX500%20Rearset%20Guide.pdf

P.S. It's in pdf format, and because of the length + pictures it's around 250kb in size. The forum won't let me upload it as an attachment, so I'm going to upload it to my webspace. Let me know asap if the link doesn't work.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I just did a quick read of your guide and I am impressed! You've done a good job explaining the process step by step....along with photos....easy enough for others to be able to use your instructions.

Good Job!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You have done a great job so far. When you get it complete I will sticky the thread and also put a copy of the PDF on my webserver as a mirror so it will be readily accessible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished!

Alright, It's finished, the most polished version can be downloaded here:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/adsmith4/EX500%20Rearset%20Guide.pdf

If you have any trouble, try right-clicking and selecting "Save Target As" - and if you don't get a file around 375kb, it may have gotten jumbled in the download, just try again.

Again, if you find any mistakes, misinformation, or have anything you think could help others, please let me know and we'll see about making another version using your suggestions!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
BlackEX500A5 said:
Stupid newbie question here....what the **** is a rearset?
Rearsets are the footpegs + controls. Changing the rearsets means basically moving them to a different position, for whatever reason.

B

·
0 Posts
I see, and I see how much my bike need's them all the other ppl on bikes I see have there feet actually behind there butt, seems like a much more comfortable riding position than inline with your butt, I'm 6' with long legs so I may consider doing this mod... but I'm not sure about the backward shift pattern....

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I stuck with the normal shift pattern, just had to cut away at a piece of plastic to make it work correctly. Took me like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually bought an EX500 from Penguin Race school whioch is the same guys as Woodcraft. Ironically it came bone stock. No EX mods at all. Odd don't you think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to point out, I make a shift lever now that eliminated the kickstand problem. At the moment it cost me roughly $4 in amterials and about $3~4 to make. It's crude, but very efective. I do require that a stock shift lever be sent (I use the base and bake a new arm) to me. As said, roughly $8, or cover shipping and make a donation to the forum, gets it to you. PM me for more details or addresses.

nixoid said:
I actually bought an EX500 from Penguin Race school whioch is the same guys as Woodcraft. Ironically it came bone stock. No EX mods at all. Odd don't you think.
Racing schools generally use 100% stock bikes. Besides, the EX500 is very capable, stock, for entry level competition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great "how to do" instructions. Did the rear set come with any instructions all their own. I am considering for 2006 EX250. Imagine to be similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want some rear sets for mine. I doubt they make any for an 89 EX500 though. Looks like it would be more comfortable than stock position. Can anyone let me know if there is any for an 89 EX500. Rear drum brake though not disc brake.

·
Registered
204 Posts
rider stance

i was just interested in the degree of change in the rider stance i was wonderin if you could just get a full bike pic or even one with someone on the bike??

·
Registered
204 Posts
to anybody that had these rearsets on their bike did you like the stance it gave you or was it uncomfortable i need to know how you felt cuz i dont wanna spend 250 bucks to find out its the most uncomfortable position ever

1 - 20 of 22 Posts