Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just told me to go find a relatively cheap bike for a xmas gift! Yippie!
So i've been searching locally for a good bike. I am not looking for the fastest bike, but more a reliable, good looking, and comfortable bike.

I used to drive a nighthawk 650 for everyday transportation for several years. I'm very comfortable on a bike...

So, I found a 94 with only 5k miles on it, looks beatiful. Very clean and runs good. Asking $2k.

Is this a good price? Is this a good bike? What are common problems I should be on the lookout for?

Any other bikes I should try to find in the sub $3k price range? (preferrably more towards $2k)

Thanks,
David
Arlington, VA

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i checked and looks like the blue book value is right around there. considering the low miles, it seems like a good deal.

one more question, how are the ninjas for passenger riding? I mean, is it definetely an uncomfortable bike for a 2nd rider (ie. my wife)?

I know, i know. it's tough to get a nice, fast, racer style bike and still want comfort for a passenger...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
webnetxpress said:
I know, i know. it's tough to get a nice, fast, racer style bike and still want comfort for a passenger...
take her with you when you go to look at it and have her sit on it with you. its not a sport/tourer but i dont know anything about your wife (size etc) so i dont know if she will be comfy or not. the ZX-9 is the real choice for a sportbike thats comfy to two people.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picked up the bike today! The wife says it is much nicer to sit on than my old nighthawk 650 (go figure, don't understand that, but whatever as long as she's happy on it too!)

bike only has 4900 miles on it, for a 10 yr old bike, that seems unreal.

it's like having a brand new bike.

i haven't been driving a bike in a few years and the ninja was definetely a joy to ride home. it's one hell of a bike, i can't imagine what the latest ones are like. hard to believe it could get better than this!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had that feeling when I first got my 500R. Bikes are a great way to get around because they are just so much fun and give you a rush that you could only get in a car by outrunning the cops.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hey
sounds great !! i would check alot of things.
check the
TIRES for cracks etc.
brake lines/fluid (change out the fluid)
oil (change the oil/filter)
etc. just check over the bike since its been sitting for so long.
good luck
lance :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since it is 10 years old he might as well buy new tires for it. At the very least check the date on the tires, it is a code somewhere. But the tires are likely more than 3 years old and definitely need a replacement if that is the case.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, a trip to the local shop is in order for next weekend. plans are oil/filter, tires, and a thorough once over to make sure i'm not missing anything.

good thing is that up until last year it had sat and only had 3000 miles on it. the girl bought it last year as a first bike and she had to clean the cobwebs out (cleaned carbs, etc.) and since put 2000 miles on it in the past 12 months. so it's running regularly, but i still want to have a once over for it and be sure.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Key items to replace and check as mentioned already:

1. Tires
2. Vacuum hoses/fuel line - check for cracks inside or deterioration.
3. Brake line - should be changed every 3 years- might as well upgrade to
stainless line and you won't have to do it again.
4. Check your brake pads.
5. Fluids - oil, coolant, brake fluid and gas if stale
6. Chain condition.
7. Oil and air filters.

If you have the service history you can better determine which need to be checked, but if it hasn't been done lately I'd have the dealer change most of these things if not make it a do it yourself get acquainted with your bike project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts