Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Last year for my first bike ever, I got this wonderful Vulcan 800 Classic.

Near the end of the riding season ( Living in Canada eh ) she started "really" ( relatively of course ) lurching at start up, or stalling when I dropped into 1st.

Until she was ridden for a while, I would have to rev her up high to get into second, third would be a little easier and the rest no problems. Once she was ridden for for a while gear changes were normal.

An adjustment to the clutch cable stopped the aggresive lurch/stall dropping into first on the first start of the day (warm up) and made second smooth again, but I didn't have the proper "play" in the clutch level, basically had none.

The handful of rides I have enjoyed so far this season the problem(s) were not around.

Until now, which of course is why I am posting this.

With the (hopefully helpful) descriptions above does it sound like I need to do the clutch?

I am a fairly new "biker", but have tooled around on cars for years, so hopefully clutch replacement shouldn't be too difficult to tackle. If that is dreaming in technicolor let me know :D

Also where could a canuck pick up what he needs?

Sorry she is a 1997...

94 is the daughters birth day and was the year I was first going to get a bike but obvious reasons why I didn't. I guess I had that on my mind :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could be two things. Could be stretched cable or you might have stronger springs then needed. Do you know if the previous owner ever changed either?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have all the receipts from the previous owner, it was very well looked after.

Clutch was done in 2003 and the cable the same year. So you would assume it shouldn't need to be done again ( at least the clutch anyways ).

I was out again today re-adjusting the cable, and it has improved and is working a lot better.

However, the best I can get is that it seems to still have some slight drag when I pull the clutch in and rock her back and forth. ( once warm )

I need to wait now and let her cool down and see how she reacts when cold again.

If it is a stretched cable, I should be able to make enough adjustments to correct this right?

Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
There should be two adjusters one inline and one on the lever. Have u adjusted both out? If not, try this to see if it helps. Turn the adjuster on the lever all the way in, then turn the inline adjuster all the way out. See how it is. If it still needs more then use the lever adjuster to get it right. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I would pop in and give an update on this in case someone else has/having a similar issue.

I swapped out the clutch plate and springs, and as I was taking the old one out and comparing between old and new, it looked as though I did this for nothing. Springs and plates looked pretty much the same between the old and new.

The only thing I could see was that the "pivot pin" ( not sure if right term ) "release lever" was slightly worn with a little burring. Of course I didn't have this as a part I ordered.

I ended up putting it all back together and hoped for the best.

The clutch is still dragging slightly ( wants to move a little while in first) but doesn't really engage until it should. Leaving the adjustments on the cable as I now have it with the aforementioned movement, the bike has no problems getting into second ( so far :) ).

I didn't see any damage to anything inside, so I am going to live with it for what is left of the season and order the release lever and associated parts for the spring of next year.

Thanks to those for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts