Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: I recently swapped the engine in my 94 ZX6. When I first installed it, it sounded fine and I took it for a test ride. During the test ride, it started screeching at idle speeds.

I know that the noise isn't from an exhaust leak since I finally got that squared away. It makes the noise right around idle speed, but not if you get it up a bit in the RPMs. I can even hear the noise when the bike is being turned over by the starter motor. It is almost like that nail on a chalkboard noise... very bad sounding. The most annoying thing is it didn't make this noise when I first installed the engine; it started doing it during a short test ride.

I have a suspicion that it is one of the accessories (stator, etc) but how do I narrow it down? I have plenty of spare parts from the old engine. Any troubleshooting tips would help!!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
does it do while idling ? if so then take a LONG handle screw driver and start putting it on different parts of the engine. put your EAR to the end of the screwdriver (handle) and listen thru it like a stethascope. you can pinpoint noises really easy this way. they make a tool just for this, looks like a doctors stethascope but has a long rod on the end instead of the round thing.
good luck :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts