Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After noticing my clutch slipping a bit when in 5th gear, I checked around and found that I guess I should not be putting the cheapest dino oil I can find into my bike, due to the wet clutch.

Are there generic motor oils that do not include additives that mess with the clutch? I find it really hard to justify the ridiculous price the specialized oil.

Also, how would I undo the damage I've likely already done? Is it as simple as doing an oil change to the the proper stuff, and removing/cleaning the clutch disc's in solvent?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
What you want is an oil with one or both of these ratings: API SG/JASO MA

Shell Rotella T 15-40 available for cheap from WalMart is rated JASO MA.

What that rating means is that the oil is suitable for motorcycles as it contains no friction modifiers.

Since the advent of particulate traps and catalyst systems on diesel engines, most of the diesel engine oils have reduced or eliminated the zinc, phosphorus, and other friction modifiers that traditionally clogged up the wet clutches. They had to in order to avoid plugging the particulate traps on Cummins engines. Just look for the JASO rating and see that it is MA. There is another JASO rating that is MB, do not use that oil in a bike with a wet clutch.

To correct the damage already done, it is best to remove the clutch frictions and steels and clean them with a good solvent. Frankly, I use brake cleaner and just wash them off, but do not let them set in the stuff as it can soften the paper friction material.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Shells website lists the JASO MA for the 15W-40 oil. I looked at a bottle of Rotella T this afternoon and it said that it was compatible with the Cummins CES 20081 requirements but didn't say JASO MA on it. The valvoline ATV oil does specifically state its JASO MA compatibility on the back of the bottle.

I think I might try it next time just to see how it works but I'm not sure how much money it's going to save. On amazon.com Rotella is $59 for three gallon bottles, 12 quart bottles of Valvoline ATV oil is $53

1 - 4 of 4 Posts