Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a klx 250 4 stoke and i cant figure out why i cant kick start ?
you can push start it all day long it just wont kick stary...runs good after started ...

any ideas out there to help?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so the kick starter works ? you may be twisting the throttle as you kick and not even know it.
might try the ol CR500 trick, lay the bike over on the left side (NOT THE WHOLE WAY ON THE GROUND) and then sit it back up, you will see a little gas trickle our of the overflow tube on the carb, thats fine. then try starting it. if you do it this way you will prob. not even need your choke.
you may also not be kicking it HARD enough. whats your weight etc. ?
could also be that the pilot jet is clogged, might want to pull the carb and run thru it to make sure the jets are clean. :-?
could also be really low on compression. do a compression check and see if its low compared to your manual

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wondering if you know anything about the cam shafts on my bike ... one of them has what it looks like to me a centrifical advance welded to the end of it... i looked up the parts list and all it said was the spring on it is the decompression spring... there is a lot of play on this part... could this be the problem? if you know what this part does could you help me out?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
its a compression release and will only tighten up when the exhaust cam is going to open. it holds it open a little to let off compression till the bike starts to make it easier to kick over

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could that be a problem if the assembly is loose or worn out? there is a lot of play in it. the rivets that hold some of it together look like they have been streched out...
is there a way to fix it or do i need to buy a new cam?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if its holding the valve open all the time then yes it wont start/will be hard to start. i wish a cam change was all ya had to do. if you swap cams then it would be best to just do a COMPLETE head/cam swap (the cams are matched to the head)

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR VALVE CLEARANCE RECENTLY ??? check it out cause it sounds like your intake valves are tight.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
if its holding the valve open all the time then yes it wont start/will be hard to start. i wish a cam change was all ya had to do. if you swap cams then it would be best to just do a COMPLETE head/cam swap (the cams are matched to the head)

You dont neccasarily have to change out the entire head. As long as the surfaces of the head are not beat to death you can change out the cams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there anyway to repair the end of the cam? there is really no wear on the cam itself... i bought the bike from an auction that i work at for only 200 dollars...
so i have no background on the bike... by the looks of it though the head has been change out already.. there is writing on the inside of the head under the valve cover and on the out side of the cylinder housing... the timing chain also looks to be new... along with the tensioner for the chain looks new... very little wear... no slack in the chain either.. its just the end of the cam that looks bad... is there any repair kit for the cam to replace the rivets?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
klxrider said:
is there any repair kit for the cam to replace the rivets?
not that ive ever seen. as for just replacing the cam, the reason i said replace cams/head as a set is because they are machined as a set to match clearances. if you just replace the cam ya might want to check to make sure the clearances are not too tight.
also the compression release is supposed to be floppy until the valve is being held open. ya might want to find another exhaust cam and see of its any tighter than yours. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts