Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here...anyways i just bought a 95 kx250 for $200...The guy i bought if from said that it just needed a new top end. Today i finished putting in a new piston and rings.

When i went to start the bike, the bike wasn't starting so i decided to take of the air filter and spray a little starter fluid in the intake. When i did this, the bike started up the third kick but was idling extremely high. I thought it might just be burning off that starter fluid so i let it run for about 15 seconds at high idle...The idle didn't change so i hit the kill switch. Then i put the air filter back on and turned out the idle screw about 2 turns...when i went to kick it over again, I notice that there was gas leaking on the ground...i looked at the carb and there was gas coming out of the bottom vent nipple.

What could be causing this? Could the floats be stuck? could this have been what cause the high idle? I'm pretty new to 2 strokes so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Also i know the throttle wasn't stuck open. and when i turn the petcock to off the gas stops running out

I'm going to take apart the carb try to clean it tonight...i think the bike sat for a little under a year so carb is probably in need of an overhaul.

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
fuel leaking out the overflow is incorrect float height.
If you havent done so yet, get yourself a manual, it will help with all the work you do on your bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i took apart the carb last night and cleaned it pretty good. I think my float had gotten stuck...I also think i found the problem with the high rev. When i put in the gas tank it pulled the throttle cable really tight and made the slide in the throttle open about a half inch. Im going to do some work on it today and see if i can get any different results...thanks guys

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey guys I'm new here...anyways i just bought a 95 kx250 for $200...The guy i bought if from said that it just needed a new top end. Today i finished putting in a new piston and rings.

When i went to start the bike, the bike wasn't starting so i decided to take of the air filter and spray a little starter fluid in the intake. When i did this, the bike started up the third kick but was idling extremely high. I thought it might just be burning off that starter fluid so i let it run for about 15 seconds at high idle...The idle didn't change so i hit the kill switch. Then i put the air filter back on and turned out the idle screw about 2 turns...when i went to kick it over again, I notice that there was gas leaking on the ground...i looked at the carb and there was gas coming out of the bottom vent nipple.

What could be causing this? Could the floats be stuck? could this have been what cause the high idle? I'm pretty new to 2 strokes so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Also i know the throttle wasn't stuck open. and when i turn the petcock to off the gas stops running out

I'm going to take apart the carb try to clean it tonight...i think the bike sat for a little under a year so carb is probably in need of an overhaul.
As for the fuel leaking out. You most likely have dirt in the inlet needle. As for the high idle, this will be either two causes, #1 is simply a high idle adjustment. There will be a nurled screw on the side of the carb that you can turn with your thumb, turn the screw CCW to see if the idle will come down. (make sure you always maintain about 1/4" of throttle cable free play) If not, then you now have a substantial air leak. This can be the carb to cyl. intake boot, or the crank seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.