Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 vulcan 1500 from a friend. when i bought it it would not crank. so i did some troubleshooting and found no spark coming out of either coil. i have fire going to the coils but none coming out...... can anyone help me with this.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so ya have power to the coils ?
if so and theres no spark coming out then
either the pickup coil is bad (triggers the coils)
or
maybe the ground is bad
or
maybe they are both bad at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
but, do you hear that the starter motor works?
do you have a special tool to check the spark?
two years ago i bougth a 00' vn1500 and a few days before i had a problem, i did a lot of test and i never saw the spark... but all the electrical system was ok, the problem was in the carburetor.

Reading the clymer manual and a lot of papers on internet I learned that could be difficult to see the spark.

I found the "reading values" (maybe it's not the correct name) of the circuit in the repair manual and I checked with a multimeter and all were fine.

do you have the repair, service & manteinance manual?
1996 - 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Series Clymer Repair Manual

FRV

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmmmm.... maybe try putting your tongue on the end of the spark plug and cranking at the same time. If it works, you'll know. :mrgreen: Seriously though, don't do that. Check it in the dark. Spark plug sparks can be hard to see. I would find it odd that both coils went bad at the same time. It's possible, just not very likely. Maybe it's something that sends a signal to them? Sorry I'm useless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks everyone. well after posting this the other day i went back out to work on my bike somemore and found that the ignition switch was messed up. All i had to do was turn the key to the almost off position and..... well lets just say i paid 230.00 dollars for the bike and now i can ride.... it never occured to me that the switch might be the problem. but again thanks for the help:mrgreen:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey i know this is an old post but I am having the same issue as you...I bought a 96' vulcan 1500 classic. Right now I'm getting no spark from the plugs. What solved your problem? you said the ignition switch...what did you do?

The ignition on my bike was moved on the bike farther back, and it also only has two positions, Off and On, but manual says it should have Off, On, and Park. and the ignition says on, off, P. but doesn't turn that far.

Right now the bike cranks but doesn't even try to start, and tried to look for spark and saw none out of any of the plugs.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts