Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

95 zx7r problems (Tennessee)

5K views 44 replies 8 participants last post by  slammed20 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm new and I have a couple of questions. I have been searching this site for a while now a have come up with the solutions to my problem but I want to see what the experts think.

I have a 95zx7r I believe the CA version. I bought it from a guy for a little over $1000. The bike seems to be in good condition but it has been sitting a year and I can't get it to start or run very easily. Once I do get it started it seems like it misses like crazy. I believe this has something to do with the carbs because when I take the air box off only one carb seems to be moist with fuel. I have no idea what is going on with the others. I will say this though. When the bike is running I have one exhaust tube that gets way hotter than the others. It's the exhaust tube on the cylinder with the carb that seems to be the only one getting gas.

This bike seems to have been modded. It has a Yoshi exhaust and the evap system stuff is gone. I bet it has been jetted but I don't have the knowledge to know how to recognize it.

So to make a long story short I will sum it all up.

1.It's hard to start period. Even with the choke on.

2.When I runs it misses like crazy and I have to hold the throttle to keep it runnin.

3. When I put intake box on it won't reach all the way up to bolt to the nut above the coils. It's short by about a 1/4 inch. Since that doesn't fit the gas tank won't line up with the boltholes.

4. The clutch seems to grab when I leave it in gear and press it in. Feels like I'm not pushing it in all the way.

This is it really. I'm gonna take the carbs out this weekend and clean them and if they don't charge me to much I will take it to the local shop to get synced.

Anything else I could do or check guys.

WES

Here is the bike minus the fairings.

See less See more
#2 ·
your on the right track. sounds like lots of fuel type problems. make sure you pull the PILOT JET,MAIN JET,(secondary jet if it has one) the AIR BLEED JETS under the diaphram cap if it has any.you should try to pull the needle jet out and clean it if its removable.
make sure to blow carb cleaner AND air thru all passages after its apart.
just go over the bike and make sure all the rubber hoses are good (not cracked etc), all fluids are full (check the rad. and resy),make sure all the brake pads/fluids are good.make sure tires are NOT dry rotted etc., make sure the air filter is good/clean-replace if needed. etc. just look over the bike and question anything ya dont like.
oh and while your in there change out your plugs. go to autozone etc. and have the cross reference to NGK cause the stock plugs are prob. gonna be $$$$

#3 ·
Ok thanks man.

This is what I have already done.

I have changed the plugs. They looked **** good by the way. They looked they hadn't been in there long.

I have changed the oil and the filter.

I took out the stock filter and blew it out.

I haven't looked at the pads yet and the tires appear to be brand new. They looked as if they were ridden a couple of time.

I'm definetly going to clean the carbs. I have a diagram I found on the net to break them down so that's the plan for the weekend.

Do you have any Idea what's up with the clutch. I think it may just need to be adjusted or just a good bleeding.

Thanks for the input man. Anymore is appreciated. I'm just a noobie to this bike thing and I'm trying to learn everything as fast a possible to get it running correctly. I have to get it painted and mechanically ready by spring.

WES

#4 ·
have you adjusted the clutch ? should be an 1/8" between the lever and perch on the bars.
are you saying it grabs when you put it in gear ?
could be it just needs USED to break loose and work correctly. get the bike running correctly and then concentrate on the clutch.
good luck :wink:

#6 ·
GPZBob said:
Where in Tenn. are you Wes? I'm in Memphis.

I'm in Cookeville. It's quite a ways from memphis.

QKENUF4U said:
have you adjusted the clutch ? should be an 1/8" between the lever and perch on the bars.
are you saying it grabs when you put it in gear ?
could be it just needs USED to break loose and work correctly. get the bike running correctly and then concentrate on the clutch.
good luck

Yes it grabs in gear. It's suposed to do that. What i'm saying is when you push the cluch in and you have the bike in gear it should role freely just like in neutral right? It doesn't. I catches just a tad bit. Enough for it to roll but enough to notice it's doesn't completely dissenegage.

WES

#8 ·
axledeep said:
That is normal, especially for a bike that has been sitting long (overnight can do it). Clutch will free up in a matter of seconds once you're riding.

Ok that makes sense. I pulled my carbs today just to get a head start for tomorrow and they look pretty dirty. I pushed the flap up and the needles had some black/greenish soot on them. One was caked pretty good. If the needles are dirty then I know the jets are. I'm also gonna replace all the vaccume lines. They seem kind of dryrotted.

WES

#10 ·
95 zx6r problem as well

Hey I'm running a 95 zx6r that is remarkably in the same condtion as yours. i bought mine that had been stored for a year. It was in need to new shift forks cause it would disegage in 2nd and pop back in place once you let off the throttle. I had the tranny rebuilt and carbs cleaned good, but I'm having a problem in 4th now. it bucks very hard and doesn't take well to throttle at all. It dies when I give it gas it doesn't take it at all.

But the reason I replied is that I am from cookeville as well. It was funny that I ran into a local at a total random forum.

#11 ·
Re: 95 zx6r problem as well

95Zx6r said:
Hey I'm running a 95 zx6r that is remarkably in the same condtion as yours. i bought mine that had been stored for a year. It was in need to new shift forks cause it would disegage in 2nd and pop back in place once you let off the throttle. I had the tranny rebuilt and carbs cleaned good, but I'm having a problem in 4th now. it bucks very hard and doesn't take well to throttle at all. It dies when I give it gas it doesn't take it at all.

But the reason I replied is that I am from cookeville as well. It was funny that I ran into a local at a total random forum.

Cool. We're gonna have to hook up. I'm working on mine all weekend. I hope I don't have any shifter problems. Everything seems alright now but I guess I won't really know until I ride it.

Hey man give me a call. 931-284-9237

WES

#13 ·
Re: zx6r problem

95Zx6r said:
Sounds good, I'm going to be in Knoxville tomorrow morning, but I'll have to give you a shout when I get back. Do you work on bikes much? Or mainly a rider like me?
No I work on cars a lot. This is my first bike and I have a lot to learn about them. I''ve done just about everything on a car so the bike won't be any different once I learn the ins and outs. I like to do my own work. I usually only take something to a mechanic if I don't have the special tool that is needed to work on a particular item. I've been doing a lot of searching so i'm learning. I would say i've learned quite abit in the last week.

WES

#14 ·
Ok guys I went out today and cleaned the carbs. They were dirty. I even took the float bowl off and cleaned all in there. I was gunky as crap. I even had a float that was sticking. I cleaned them and put everything back together and started it up. It ran a little better but it's not smooth. It's not what I was used to hearing a bike sound like. I had my buddy start up his Honda 600r and it sounded smooth as ****. So, hearing that leads me to believe its not running on all four cylinders. That would explane the rumble and it not wanting to idle. I suspect some bad wires or a bad coil. I will check them tomorrow.

Here are the questions I have.

What is the difference in the pickup coil and the regular Ignition coil?

What is the best way to test them?

Could it be timing?

Help is appreciated.

WES

#16 ·
Well I still am unable to get her started. I changed a couple of plug wires that were backwards. That wasn't it. I'm starting to think something is wrong with my fuelpump because when i attempt to start the bike I have no fuel visiable in the carbs. I mean shouldn't something atleast squirt? Also my pump doesn't sound to healthy. I've heard fuel pumps before and they whine. The one the bike rumbles. Sounds like a bad bearing or something. I have a fuel pump on the way and I will know they outcome of that soon.

Another thing that looked funny to me was the sparkplug wires. I know on cars the wires have little boots in each end. Well on the distributor side it has the little the ends that clip inside the distributor cap. Well I would assume that the distributor/coil ends should look somewhat a like. On my bike the end of the plug wires that go into the coil looks like someone cut something off the end and just layed the wire in the hole. On the end of each of my plug wires there are 3 or so strands of wire coming out of the insulation like someone took some wire pliers just cut the end off. Is it supposed to look like that?

My Questions are:

Should the spark plug wires have some type of connector on the coil end our just little wires hanging out?

When I attempt start my bike is gas supposed shoot out jets of the carbs or will it only shoot out when it starts. I have yet to see any fuel come out of my carbs jets and they have been cleaned.

Thanks for the help guys.
WES

#17 ·
ZX7RBLADES said:
1. I changed a couple of plug wires that were backwards.
2. I mean shouldn't something atleast squirt?
3. The one the bike rumbles. Sounds like a bad bearing or something
4. On my bike the end of the plug wires that go into the coil looks like someone cut something off the end and just layed the wire in the hole. On the end of each of my plug wires there are 3 or so strands of wire coming out of the insulation like someone took some wire pliers just cut the end off. Is it supposed to look like that?
5. Should the spark plug wires have some type of connector on the coil end our just little wires hanging out?
6. When I attempt start my bike is gas supposed shoot out jets of the carbs or will it only shoot out when it starts. I have yet to see any fuel come out of my carbs jets and they have been cleaned.

WES
1. how do you know they where backwards.....
2. you will NOT see fuel coming out of your carbs, they will not draw fuel from the fuel bowls till the engine is running and the carbs have vacumn going thru them to feed the engine fuel
3. it should be nice WHINE but it could be LOW FUEL thats makeing it rumble
4. not a 100% positive but the wires should be CLIPPED INTO THE COILS and there should be plug boots on the other end. they should screw into the caps and coils.
5. the CORE of the wire should not be exposed, they screw into the coils and a small retainer clip holds them
6. no read #2 :wink:

#18 ·
QKENUF4U said:
1. how do you know they where backwards.....
2. you will NOT see fuel coming out of your carbs, they will not draw fuel from the fuel bowls till the engine is running and the carbs have vacumn going thru them to feed the engine fuel
3. it should be nice WHINE but it could be LOW FUEL thats makeing it rumble
4. not a 100% positive but the wires should be CLIPPED INTO THE COILS and there should be plug boots on the other end. they should screw into the caps and coils.
5. the CORE of the wire should not be exposed, they screw into the coils and a small retainer clip holds them
6. no read #2 :wink:

. The over price manual I bought from Kawasaki.
2. Ok but how in the crap is supposed to start if doesn't draw fuel until it's starts. I'm lost on this one.
3. I don't know about this one. I have coming so I will see what happens.
4. Yea the there are boots one the plug end and they do screw into the coils but in the middle of the insulation there are 3 little bitty wires hanging out. I assume the wire send spark to the plug but if that's the way it's supposed to be I don't see how it's effecient. It LOOKS like somebody cut something off the end of the. LOOKS
5. There is no clip on the end. Just the little wires haning out. They screw in though.
6. #2? I don't know what you mean by that.

Thanks for helping me man. I need it.

WES

#19 ·
#2. it is drawing fuel in when you are TRYING to start it since it has VACUMN/SUCTION thru the carb bodies just like it would when running. you WILL NOT see fuel being sucked into the engine. it will come up thru the small holes before the throttle plate on the engine side.
#5. i should have clarified that better. you can see the core of the wire but it shouldnt be exposed. the screw in the boots/coils screw into the wire beside the core of the wire. if you didnt cut any wire off you should be able to see the old hole that the screw made.

#20 ·
QKENUF4U said:
#2. it is drawing fuel in when you are TRYING to start it since it has VACUMN/SUCTION thru the carb bodies just like it would when running. you WILL NOT see fuel being sucked into the engine. it will come up thru the small holes before the throttle plate on the engine side.

Oh I see. I seen those little holes when I was cleaning the carbs. I had no idea what the hell they did before hand. I have a question.

1. Is the throttle body plate supposed to be blocking these holes? I remember noticing that the holes were partially blocked on one throttle body and completly block on a couple of the others. What I mean by blocked is that the throttle plates sits directly over the holes. If what you say is correct then I would assume they shouldn't be that way.

2. What is the best way to test the ignition coils and the pickup coil.

WES

#21 ·
ZX7RBLADES said:
QKENUF4U said:
1. Is the throttle body plate supposed to be blocking these holes? I remember noticing that the holes were partially blocked on one throttle body and completly block on a couple of the others. What I mean by blocked is that the throttle plates sits directly over the holes. If what you say is correct then I would assume they shouldn't be that way.

2. What is the best way to test the ignition coils and the pickup coil.

WES
1. if the throttle plates are sitting in different places in the carbs then you need to do a CARB SYNCH BIG TIME (they wont all be in the EXACT spot but they should be real close)
and yes the throttle plate will partially block them when IDLING but as you turn the throttle the plate starts to expose the holes so more fuel can be sucked into the engine.
2. with a multi-meter. you need a manual so you can see what the spec is supposed to be.
good luck
lance :wink:

#22 ·
Ok I made some good progress today. I guy I knew had a friend that used to work at the Honda shop and he brought him by to look at my bike. I had him look at one of the plugs and right off the back he told me they were probably fuel fouled. He told me that if I tried to start the bike with the choke on and twisted the throttle it would probably foul them. So, since I had no possible clues I went to advanced auto parts and bought some new NGK's. I put them in and it started right up at like the second crank. It didn't idle smooth but it was a hell of a lot better than the first time I got it started. I set and let it run on the choke for about 5 minutes. When it first started it puffed white smoke for about 2 seconds and that was it. I had expected more. The rpms would fluctuate a little and I have no clue why. When I turned it off I noticed that the 1&2 exhaust headers were hotter than the other two.

Questions.

1. Would the idle fluctuating be becuase it may need a carb sync?
2. I suspect 1&2 are running leaner than 3&4. Should a carb sync fix it?
3. How can I tell if this bike has a 900 motor?
4. Why in the hell won't my tank line up with the mirror stay bolt holes? For some reason it's hitting the air box and will not line up so I can't put the top to bolts in.

Thanks
WES

#23 ·
ZX7RBLADES said:
1. Would the idle fluctuating be becuase it may need a carb sync?
2. I suspect 1&2 are running leaner than 3&4. Should a carb sync fix it?
3. How can I tell if this bike has a 900 motor?
4. Why in the hell won't my tank line up with the mirror stay bolt holes? For some reason it's hitting the air box and will not line up so I can't put the top to bolts in.

Thanks
WES
1. yes it could
2. it may
3. it may say what CC's it is at the bottom of the head area where it meets the case's
4. cant help ya there. make sure you have the tank sitting on the rubber locators correctly. also you may need to pull the tank and lube up the rubber locators.

#24 ·
Ok now, I got the bike to run. Now my problem is it won't run with the choke off. If I gradually reduce the amount of choke the idle will go down down down until finally no choke and it will die.

1. What should I look for when it won't run with the choke off.

WES

#25 ·
I took the bike to the local shop today and when the guy took the off the trailer the first thing he tried to do was start it up. I don't really understand why because the garage was like 10 feet away. Well anyway he started and I told him it would run without the choke being on and when it started and reved up I think it scared him. Anyway, he couldn't get it to run without the choke so he seen how it was acting. The first thing he said was that it sounded like the fuel pump isn't getting enough gas to the carbs. That's what I had been thinking all along.

Well they have it now and he assured that they wouldn't fix anything on the bike without my approval. I smiled cause he told me that while I was thinking the same thing. It was literally on the tip of my tounge. I'll let you know what they say.

WES

#26 ·
since its NOT a fuel injected bike it will not be the FUEL PUMP thats causing it to stall out. if it was fuel injected then i can believe that cause the fuel pressure would drop off and there would be nothing to inject.also how does it run on choke if the fuel pump isnt pumping enough ??? i would have let it on choke for as long as possible and see if it stalled, if it did then you know you have a fuel problem. :?: since its dieing with the choke off then i would say it either needs.........
1. the idle turned up
2. the carbs synched/cleaned/motor tuned up (plugs)
3. maybe a fuel filter
let us know what they say

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.