Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 vulcan 1500vn. When i push the starter button all it does is click. It has a new battery in it so i dont think that is it. I tryed to jump the starter solenoid but it just sparks. If u can help me figure out what i have to do to get this to start it would help alot thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey greenbelaire.. sounds to me you have a solenoid or starter problem.. you may want to connect 12v directly to the starter to test if it spins.. if it just sparks, then you've got to replace it..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks boogeyman, i had the starter tested and they said it was good. i replaced the solenoid. Now it just clicks in a different way and with mt hand on the starter i feel it moving. Iam lost do you think the motoer could be locked up or something. Or someone told me it could be a starter lockout or neutral switch trouble. not sure what that is though. If u can help at all it would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
..if it were me and I was in doubt as to whether the starter was working, I would hook the starter directly up to a 12v source - such as a car battery to see if it spins..

if that's good, then check the volts coming off of the leads supplying power to the starter.. you'll have to measure it while the bike is on and you're pressing the starter.. see if it reads anywhere near 12v...

there's nothing else involved in this puzzle.. it's one or the other.. if it's not the starter, then it's something to do with the juice going to the starter...

let me know how it works out...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tested the wire going fro the solenoid to the starer while the bike was on and pushing the starter button and it read 3.06 volts that dont seem right to me. shouldnt it read 12 volts or close to that

·
Registered
24 Posts
my guess is YES! check out the wiring yourself or have a Kawi mechanic take a look.. at least now you've narrowed it down a bit... Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts