Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problems with the idle on my 4x4. It is kind of strange and I hope someone else has gone through this.

First, what happened.
Well it sat for a couple months, when we started it, no fuel. after searching we found the needle and float were stuck not allowing fuel into the bowl on the carburator. So I pulled the bowl and freed them up.

Now ever since it idles rough. It starts good, and drives fine, but just doesn't idle right.

I pulled the whole carb out, cleaned it up, and no change what so ever.

Things I notice are, while idling it never dies, just idles rough.
If I choke it, it will "usually" idle better.
With no choke it idles high when cold, and low and rough after warm.
While idleing, if I shut the fuel off, it comes out of it for a while just before it runs out of fuel.

Another thing that is odd. If I screw the idle mixture screw all the way in, it will not affect the idle.

So what part is screwed up and letting fuel in?

I checked for vaccum leaks, I have pulled the carb out a couple times now and tore it all apart, and cleaned it. I have tried a few different float levels. I don't seem to have fuel running out of the drain, or flooding the engine when shut off. I have drained the tank a couple times and filled with new fuel. New spark plug. Set the valve lash. all those things looked great and did not need much adjustment. This thing has always ran perfectly, I hate the way it idles now.

I am not sure which direction to head. I would buy a carb kit, but I cannot see anything wrong with this one. I am about ready to load it up and haul it to the dealer, but I have never done that in my life, and really don't want to now.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay after doing some reading, I think I have my float set too high.

What is the proper way to set it, and what measurement should I have? Anyone know, or have a manual for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have reset the float to 4 different levels, including extremes at both ends.

No change. I can close the idle mixture screw all the way no change.

I guess unless one of you guys have idea off to the shop it goes.

WHat a sad day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, it took 3 trips to the dealer, but this is what they said.

There is a technical bulletin out for this very problem. It came out in 1999. The guys at the shop hadn't seen one for so long they forgot all about it, and when they called the factory service people they sent them this direction.

Apparently it did not happen to every one, but on the 300 and 400 models pre '99 there is a shim kit for the float valve to fix this. They installed it free, but it was not a large enough problem to provoke a recall.

That is about all the info I have, I hope it will help someone else. This has certainly been frustrating for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts