Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm looking to get into the sport at a cheap price. i already spend to much on my snowmobiles so i don't want to spend alot right now to get into bikes. i local kid is selling a 96 kx250 that he says he blew the motor on. i guess it is bored out to a 285. says the case has cracks and the piston is junk but the head is good. if what he is telling me is true would i just need a new motor? what would that run me? if its only a top end i'm okay with that, done it a few times on my sleds. he wants $400 obo, would it be worth it to pick it up and fix it? says it also needs front fork seals.

·
Registered
917 Posts
sounds like an abused clapped out POS. Around here you can buy bikes around that year for 500-1000. They start right up and need very little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, for some reason people think they can get 1000 plus on some 1985's around here. he sent me some pics and it looks like it could use some work. it would give me something to do but i don't want to spend a fortune. everything else looks okay. i would probably just want to go to a standard 250.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It is the same around here. I've been picking up stuff from the 80's and these people think they are going to get 1000-1500. But when the bike doesn't move what are they going to do. You have to just show and explain the NADA value and what it's worth in this economy. Then tell them what you will give them and give them your number if they change their mind.

Keep looking and buy from some who seems honest. You never know what you are going to find when you start taking it apart. Like my last parts bike. The guy kept using standard size nuts/bolts and stripping the metric threads. Really annoying. But it ran and drove for $300. Needed too much work and became a parts bike. So for $550 I have a running bike and another complete bike with great spare parts.

I bought my 1986 which I ride now for $250. The guy started at 900 (or maybe more). It needed a rear shock (which I had), chains/sprockets, brake pads, air box boot, front tire.

My $250 KX250 1986 - E2S

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
I think you are looking at a lot of repairs and rebuilds. The engine is pretty much NEVER the only thing wrong with super neglected bikes. Save up and buy one in better condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i hear ya. seems as though the kid bought it from an adult, and the kid had no clue what he was doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it turns out he busted a skirt off the piston and it got lodged in the case. that motor is toast.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Cash repairs everything on a bike. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts