Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if these questions have been answered, I did search and couldn't find them.

First question is I have a 96 vulcan 800 classic and the speedometer guage isn't working at all. including the odometer and trip meter.
Where should I start looking for the problem? Are all parts of the guage controlled by one cable or sensor?

Also on a side note, is an oil change on a motorcycle done the same way as a car, just pull the plug, drain it, replace the filter, and refill with oil?
Anyone know how much oil I'm suppose to put in this bike?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, it appears that this guage is controlled by a cable.

Anyone know how difficult it is to change? Does the kawasaki repair manual give detailed instructions to replace this cable?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Make sure the cable is the problem. All you need to do is remove the gauge on the tank and unscrew the cable at that end, as well as at the wheel. I hate using them but a pair of vise grips were about the only thing I could find that worked to get them off.

The cable kind of resembles coaxial cable, there is an inner cable and an outer sheath. The inner cable turns as the gears on the wheel turn. Make sure the cable is broken, twisted off, etc before you replace it. You'll probably be able to tell if its in working order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts