Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike had been wrecked and it sit for a long long time. After cleaning the carbs, replacing spark plugs, and changing fluids I did get it to turn over with some starting fluid but it was not starting. I checked out the fuel pump and found that it was not pumping any fuel. After replacing it, it still was not working. I hooked the pump directly to the battery to ensure it really worked which it did. This led me to take a look at the fuel relay. I replaced it and now when the fuel pump and relay are connected the bike will not turn over. It just sort of clicks. When I unhook either one it turns over, but obviously doesn't pump any fuel. Any ideas where I should look from here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
check the wiring to make sure it is all in good condition

make sure the battery if fully charged and all fuses are good

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the wiring to make sure it is all in good condition

make sure the battery if fully charged and all fuses are good
I don't see any issues with the wiring, but I'm no mechanic. I don't see any bare or cut wires though, it all looks ok. The battery, while maybe not fully charged, is charged enough that it should turn over. At least it's charged enough that it turns over when I disconnect the fuel pump. I wouldn't think the extra load of a fuel pump would make it do a dull click (and sometimes a hum?) but I went ahead and put the charger on it just in case. I double checked all fuses and they are all good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2 fuel pumps and they both do the same thing, they do both work when connected directly to the battery though.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
can you hook up another fuel bottle to see if you can get it to run off that? it will at least let you find out if it will run with no other problems.

do you have a manual? is there any resistance measurements for the fuel pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elr658: I bought the battery when I purchased the bike about a year ago. I cleaned the carbs and such back then and couldn't get it to start and got busy doing other things so it's been sitting a year in the bike. I would hope it wouldn't be bad, but I guess anything is possible. I'm going to charge it overnight and see what it does tomorrow. The bike does crank when disconnecting the fuel pump or fuel relay though so I know it has some juice.

zedx11: I'm not sure what you mean by another fuel bottle? You mean like somehow bypass the fuel pump and put gas directly in to the carbs? I do indeed have a manual but it has no resistance measurements for the pump, just the relay. I checked my old one with my multimeter and it didn't look right so I purchased a new one. However I have had the same result with it.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
if the battery has been sitting in the bike unused/uncharged for a year, you need to get it charged then try again. it should be tested to make sure it is still holding a charge, any auto parts house or MC shop will test it for you.

google motion pro auxiliary fuel tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts