Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1997 klf 300 Bayou and have a couple questions, Anyone know the valve lash specs. Also when riding it, to me it feels like the clutch is slipping in the lower rpm range and when you get to mid rpms no matter what gear it will slowly grab, fells like a stall converter (torgue) on a car. Is this normal, I have never owned a utility atv or even seriously ridden one for any lenght of time, bought it for my wife to ride and I always have and still prefer 2 wheels. Any suggestions or things to check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i be the clutches are worn. mine is doing the samething if it grabs hard i would check the linkage on the selector but if it dont bother you to bad dont wory and ride. hope that this helps check around the forums and see what you can dig up cause what ever problem i have had it comes up on here. thanks if you find out the valve clearance let me know take care ed NC

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hi ed and hi got5 first is hows your machine doing now ed going good yet?and for you got5 valve lash for your bike is intake 0.10-0.15mm cold and exhaust 0.15-0.20mm and also check your clutch basket springs to see if they are weak or borken before replaceing clutchsgood luck with your repairs let us know what you find out for other forum readers -corey-

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Since you are a motorcycle guy I suspect you already have verified that you have oil in the crankcase that is compatible with the wet clutch.

The clutch uses a cam action to engage and if the adjustment screw is a shade to too tight it will be a slip-o-matic until it gets hot enough to start grabbing. The adjustment on the lever will not affect the internal cam release bolt.

Take a look at the parts diagram on kawasaki's web site and you will get an idea of how the adjustment down on the side of the case works.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i finaly got the bayou straight i ended up putting a trx 300 carb on it and all i m getting the clutch slipping though i believe it is my oil though cause i put the same as my tractor takes parts store 15 minutes away and the other oil on hand if i change it back to bike oil is it going to start grabbing again. thanks later

·
Registered
628 Posts
I changed the oil in my Bayou 400 with standard automotive oil while on a ride before. I flooded the quad out and didn't have anything on hand. The parts store out in the boonies I found only had standard motor oil. I reluctantly put it in and of course, before the end of the day, I could feel it slipping a bit. When the quad arrived back at the shop after the ride, I pulled the clutch side cover off, removed both clutches, soaked them in kerosene, reapplied wet clutch oil on them and reinstalled on the quad. The slipping was immediately gone and no long term harm done.

Moral of the story: Clutches do not like regular oil but engines like no oil a WHOLE lot less. Use whatever you can in an emergency but get the right stuff as SOON as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts