Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just put a new carb in my 97 kx100. the onther one was totally trashed. the bike at least ran with the other one but needed starter fluid to get it goin. the old carb's pilot was a size lower then stock even though it has carbon fiber reeds, fmf turbinecore, and moose air filter. (?) dont aftmk stuff usually make it run leaner? my new carb is totally stock with the biger pilot size 55 as opposed to 50. now the bike wont start, i havnt tried starter fluid yet though. what could be causing my issue? once the bike got goin with the old carb it was ok to ride although it didnt have much low end pull. its got good spark and compression but it leaks a little oil out of the base of the clutch cover and around the kicker. ive read two strokes need crankcase compression to run proper. could this also be my issue?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so i got it goin with some starter fluid and it runs pretty rich but at least it runs. it wont idle though, or kick start still without fluid. Does ANYBODY have ANY idea what my problem could be?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
need to do a compression check and check how far out the pilot screw is turned...(air screw in your case)

·
Registered
917 Posts
most likely just jetting. If you increase flow with oily filter, fresh bore, pipe/reeds ect. it will run richer. I love when people increase flow and think the carb will supply less gas.

Try stock jetting and go from there.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok so i got it goin with some starter fluid and it runs pretty rich but at least it runs. it wont idle though, or kick start still without fluid. Does ANYBODY have ANY idea what my problem could be?
should have said that if it starts on STARTING FLUID then its a fuel delivery problem (could also be reeds) and since it wont idle that could be to big/small a pilot (betting big since you said its rich) or the pilot jet is clogged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts