Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fixed up my new '97 kz1000, my first bike, got rid of the factory air filter housing/box and wanted to put on the individual pod air filters...with my bike having 4 carbs and me being new to the world of bikes, is there any negatives to this decision? are there any steps i need to do to make this possible or do i just install the pod filters and let the engine be? ...Don't want to mess up my bike, so any ideas?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
did the same thing .....it looked liked it was ok. then found out that the original air filter was also a rear bracket that holds up the back of the carbs,i made a wire hanger between the the 2 inner carbs to the the top of the frame.. ..the tank has to come off...if no bracket on the back you risk the chance of the carbs slipping down and maybe off ...while driving... that should be a nice fix on the service road with no tools ... ...if you ask stargate he most likely will come up with a better fix then wire ..for sure r.....

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the idea...I figured people had already worked out a solution...does the carb ever start coming off? or has it held on fairly well?...well once again thanks for the help.. what does BTK stand for by the way?...

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
BTK= Beartooth Kawasaki.

If there is nothing to hold up the back of the carbs it will not be long before it will pull loose from the intake manifolds from the weight and vibration. Usually going to pods means you need to go up in size on the jets. Especially if you run an aftermarket pipe.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
And even if you get the manifolds clean and some clamps really really tight so the carbs don't pop out any more, the next thing to happen is the constant stress from bumps/vibration will crack the intake manifolds.

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where or who do i talk to about rejetting, or finding the right size jet to match the pod air intake?..my bike has the stock exhaust pipes, so just a change in the air box/house thing for the pods....& thanks for the idea and comment by the way...

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
StarGate...thanks for the opinion...getting the carb back on with the airbox is insanely difficult and making sure the rubber boots are on properly is next to impossible because of no working room between the intake manifold and air housing box...do you have any tricks you'd like to share...because removing the airbox seems so much easier...but i don't want to mess up my bike...

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
My bike has the same engine/carb setup as yours. I tried running the pod filters for a few years. It is definitely easier to remove the carbs with pods vs. air box but once you get them lined out, your not going to be taking them off any more so that advantage becomes voided. With all the hassles of having to get the rejetting right, worrying about getting pods wet from washing/rain, inconsistent running because of air turbulence around the pods when riding, bracing the carbs, etc it's really not worth it. Just dish out the $50-$60 for new air box boots and putting the carbs on with the air box is so much simpler. Z1enterprises carries the boots and trust me when I tell you they are worth every penny.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Paid 50 bucks to Z-1 for my new boots and do not regret it in the least. Still no picnic pulling the carbs and reinstalling but so much easier with the new boots.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
It will cost you more than $50 for pods, plus all the work you have to do to get them to run right. And then they're a never ending PITA.

Buy the boots, makes an amazing difference.

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, sound like a better deal than messing up the bike, especially since i'm new at this...thanks for all the advice and i'm putting away my pride and sticking with the airbox....thanks guys...

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
alright, sound like a better deal than messing up the bike, especially since i'm new at this...thanks for all the advice and i'm putting away my pride and sticking with the airbox....thanks guys...
:wink: Good idea! Those vacuum assisted carbs dont play well with pods. You can always opt for a set 28s or 29s(if you can find them)for future use.:wink: And hey, I would be very proud to pilot one of those police bikes! The whole reason police agencies still use them is the fact that theyre still KZ-1000s! They still smoke any other police bike! The KZ-1000 is the bike that made the police get off their Hardleys and get on what is still the fastest police bike there is! I wish I had one! :wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
StarGate...thanks for the opinion...getting the carb back on with the airbox is insanely difficult and making sure the rubber boots are on properly is next to impossible because of no working room between the intake manifold and air housing box...do you have any tricks you'd like to share...because removing the airbox seems so much easier...but i don't want to mess up my bike...
Yes, I have a really good "trick" for manipulating the rubber boots. After taking them off and on again a few times I scratched my head and came up with this tool. I made it from a long flat bladed screwdriver. I can push and pull the boots and the springs. It makes things very easy. Did I say "very easy"? works good and I can take my carbs off and put them back on in just a few minutes (like two!). With a smile! Maybe they should sticky this tool before I patent it!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Give this a try if the carb boots are hard/stiff and you're afraid of tearing them:

Successfully Resurrecting Old Rubber Parts
(Found on the internet)

This subject has been broached before but I am happy to report success in revitalizing old rubber.

I have been using a mixture of 30% wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and 70% xylene to restore old rubber parts and it works beautifully. This is the same ingredients and proportions for the commercial product Rubber Renue according to the MSDS sheets.

Wintergreen oil is analgesic and liniment for aching muscles and found in most drugstores, pharmacies, health food stores and co-ops.

I gently heated rock hard honda CB carb boots with a heat gun for 30 seconds and dropped them into mason jars with my solution for 12 hours at room temperature. They come soft, pliable and looking good. They have been out of solution for 48 hours now and are still soft and pliable. I soaked smaller rubber parts such as side panel grommets and there extremely soft and may need to soak for less time

Critics are going to argue 'why not buy new ones?' Well, I am restoring four CB's at the moment and if I can reuse perfectly good parts, why throw them and my money away?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts