Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently I completed repair of my 97 zx6r, took it for a spin around the block, ran fine all the way to redline. Installed a muzzy full exhaust, changed the fuel filter, and cleaned the air filter the next day and when I took it for its next spin, it choked terrible while riding (bogged out so bad it would only go ab out 5 mph with full throttle open). I have heard the problem was the fuel filter I had in it. Swapped out the fuel filter for one from a motorcycle shop and the issue improved, but was not solved (Bike runs fine until around 3500 rpms, bogs slightly then bogs for a second or two around 6500 rpms, after it passes the range where it bogs bike runs amazing). Am still not running the stock fuel filter and was wondering if it was an issue with my jetting with the new exhaust or if it could still be a problem with the fuel filter.

Some info on the bike.
97 zx6r 29,000 miles
dynojet stage 1 jet kit
k&n air filter
muzzy full exhaust

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
all in the jetting... what do the plugs look like ? im betting youre still way lean.... stage 1 is NOT FOR FULL EXHAUST (read the package/manuf website and it will tell you for sure)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs were black with carbon the last couple times I pulled them during the repair, brand new plugs, brand new battery.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hmm ok i was wrong... usually the do stage 1 for a stock bike with just an airfilter to help richen up the bike from the factory lean setting.....
anyways are these the instructions you used ? is it a ZX6R or a ZX600R ?? theres a difference in jet kits..... if you have the zx600r and use the stage 1 from the ZX6R then it WAAAYYYYY to rich.... if you used the right kit then ya maybe set your needle in the wrong groove ? put to big a main in ? need to lean it out a bit on the pilot screw ?
also what air filter are you running ? stock or aftermarket ? what kind of air filter if not stock ?(what brand/material)
ZX600R -
1. Remove vacuum slides from carbs. Remove stock needles and spacers, noting order of assembly (Fig.A). 2129.002
2. Using the drill bit provided (DD #32) enlarge your slide lift hole (Fig. A). Do not drill the needle hole.
3. Install the Dynojet needles on groove #4 from the top. Use all stock spacers (Fig. A). Install the small
Dynojet washers above the E-clip (2 per needle). After installing the slides in the carbs be sure to check
slide movement manually.
4. Remove the stock main jets and replace with the Dynojet main jets provided. If you are running the stock
exhaust install the DJ092 main jets. If you are running an aftermarket exhaust or slip-ons with high flow
baffles use the DJ096 main jets. Be sure that the jet you are changing is the main jet.
5. Locate the fuel mixture plug (Fig. B). If you see a screw head at Fig. B then proceed to the adjusting
procedure. With the 5/32 drill bit provided carefully drill through the plug. NOTE: The mixture screw is
directly underneath this plug, be ready to pull back on the drill the instant you break through. Use screw
provided to secure and remove this plug. Carefully turn the mixture screw clockwise until lightly seated, then
back out 3.5 turns.

or these instruction......

ZX6R -
1. Remove vacuum slides from carbs. Remove stock needles and spacers, noting order of assembly (Fig.A) 2159.003
2. Using the drill bit provided (DD #40) drill an auxiliary slide lift hole in the position shown in Fig. B. By
drilling this auxiliary hole you will get the optimum performance out of this kit. If for any reason you need to
go back to stock use JB weld or a similar product to fill up this hole.
3. Install the Dynojet needles on groove #3 from the top. Use all stock spacers. Install the small Dynojet
washers above the E-clip (2 per needle). Install Dynojet slide springs (DSP005) in place of the stock slide
springs. After installing the slides in carbs be sure to check slide movement manually.
4. Install the Dynojet shrouds (DNJT06). With the holes facing towards the engine (Fig. C) press over the
stock needle jets. Before pressing down, add a touch of glue to the outer base of the stock needle jet, then
press down. Check to make sure there is no excess glue visible.
5. Remove the stock main jets and replace with the Dynojet main jets provided. If you are running the
stock exhaust install the DJ144 main jets. If you are running an aftermarket exhaust or slip-on with high
flowing baffle use the DJ150 main jets. Be sure that the jet you are changing is the main jet.
6. Locate the fuel mixture plug (Fig. D). If you see a screw head at Fig. D then proceed to the adjusting
procedure. With the 5/32 drill bit provided carefully drill through the plug. NOTE: The mixture screw is
directly underneath this plug, be ready to pull back on the drill the instant you break through. Use screw
provided to secure and remove this plug. Carefully turn the mixture screws clockwise until lightly seated,
then back out 3 turns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike is a zx600F (zx6r) for sure. Jet kit was installed when I purchased the bike. Air filter is a k&n, pretty sure they only make one type of
material for filters. Went for a ride today, started going uphill and cause the bike to choke out worse... I am thinking fuel filter, bit will probably be taking the bike in for a full carb cleanup and tune, also a Jew jet kit, so I know it iscorrext especially being at altitude (5000 ft). Bike ran fine with stock pipeand a slip on, and as I said only things changed at all were the full exhaust and fuel filter. One reason i believe it is the fuel filter is because at certain times the bike chokes, then comes on and runs like a champ. If the jetting were to be messed up, wouldn't it have ran ****ty even with the stock pipe? It was running rich before the new exhaust system (dumping carbon when bike was opened up and backfiring at the tip of the exhaust) but it is not backfiring or dumping carbon with the new exhaust. I will be changing the fuel filter as soon as it arrives (will be ordering it tomorrow) and will update to see if it fixes the issue. If issue is not fixed will be taking the bike in to a shop that has done work for me before and will post an outcome of what the problem was.
Thanks for the insight.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok 5000' makes a huge difference also...did you just install the filter or did you clean/re-oil the filter ? if u just cleaned it you may have over oiled it....
could be you put the filter on backwards ?

pump isnt shutting off once pressure comes up to spec ? (flooding bike)

could also be that it has the small main jets in it since it was a STOCK PIPE and SLIP ON .......

did you change the main jet to match the FULL EXHAUST ?

they will be different between stock pipe and full header....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts