Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 ZX7 and the front brakes are acting up. I think i have pinpointed the best description of the problem. While the bike is sitting still, whether the bike is on or off,the brakes work fine, but as soon as you move it, whether the bike is off and you are pushing it, or its on and you are pushing it, or its on and you are riding it, you have to pump the brakes for them to grab. I noticed this today after i re-bled the lines and was pushing it to my garage from sitting in my driveway. When i was sitting still, i grabbed the brake and it was fine, but when i moved it, a matter of about 3 or 4 feet, it took significantly longer for the brakes to grab, eventually to the point where the lever was depressed all the way to the handgrip. Then after it sitting for less than a minute, they were fine again. So long story short, when moving i dont have response and i have to pump the brakes up, and when stopped, theyre fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt feel any pulsating in the brake lever though. Im gonna put it on a centerstand and spin the front wheel tomorrow. Is it possible it could have something to do with old or improperly adjusted wheel bearings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't i also be able to feel the warped rotor in the lever or some sort of vibrations? I havent felt anything.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I try not to take anything for granted, as far as I know you know absolutely nothing about motorcycles so I give you the most common cause for the problem.

check the rotors and wheel bearings and let us know what you find then we can go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gee thanks, this is only the 3rd one ive owned. I just ask questions and try to do a little research when I dont know what im dealing with. One of the things it said to pay attention for with warped rotors was pulsating in the brake lever. My bad for trying to be sure about what my problem is.

Sorry if im coming off as a jackass in this, but I don't have a lot of money to work with right now and I want to be sure that what im investing in is going to fix my problem.

I have to get a micrometer and as soon as I do that I will check the rotors (which are new, the guy i bought them from gave me the old ones as well) and let you know what i find.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I didn't take your post in any bad light, just stated where I was coming from.

I understand about working with little money.

you are correct about "should" feel pulsing through the lever, depends on a few things though. if it is a small warp maybe the brake lines are expanding enough to take up the pulse or the fluid is needing changed or air in the system.

a micrometer will only tell you the thickness, not if it is warped. you will need a dial indicator and stand. similar to this:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The poor man's dial indicator is a pencil and some duct tape. Tape the pencil to the fork so that it's juuuuust touching the rotor. Spin the rotor and see if the distance between the rotor and pencil increases or decreases. If it does, you have a warped rotor. If not, another problem.

I'd guess you still have air in the system.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
MITY-VAC is your friend !!!!!!!!!!!! still got air in lines or master went dead. start easy and bleed brakes correctly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gee thanks, this is only the 3rd one ive owned. I just ask questions and try to do a little research when I dont know what im dealing with.

Sorry if im coming off as a jackass in this, but I don't have a lot of money to work with right now and I want to be sure that what im investing in is going to fix my problem.
Dont take it personally, if you stick around you'll love some of the questions that get asked. Its enough to wonder how stupid people have survived this long lol.

"I ADJUSTED ALL MY VALVES AND NOW MY ENGINE WONT TURN OVER DID I TIGHTEN THEM TOO MUCH I TURNED THEM IN ALL THE WAY TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE TIGHT!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts