Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a 98 vulcan classic 1500 a couple of weeks ago. i think my drive shaft is bad. it runs fine but when i give it some throttle it acts like it is slipping out of gear and tries to catch itself. it only happens when i hit the throttle hard. the oil level is fine and it was just changed. i only have 7900 miles on it. any suggestions? or if anyone lives in new jersey and wants to come by and help me figure this out let me know. thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
not your driveshaft but your CLUTCH. sounds like your slipping. what oil did you use and when did it start acting this way (after/before your oil change)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
still sounds like a clutch problem. not sure if your bike has a hydraulic clutch or not. if its cable then make sure its adjusted correctly, if its hydraulic then maybe it needs bled. could be the clutch has just given up the ghost or the shop put the wrong type oil in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
didn't get to bleed it today cause due to just getting home from work. it is a wet clutch, can anyone explain why this would be the clutch not the drive shaft. sorry to sound stupid but i am new to the vulcan and shafts and wet clutches. just trying to get an understanding and to increase my knowledge. thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
well unless the previous owner screwed your drive shaft SPLINES up royally there is no way it would slip.it should actually outlive YOU and the rest of the bike. :shock:
as for the clutch, there are STEEL plates and FIBRE plates. if the steels got hot and are blued or the fibres are worn below spec they will not GRAB like they are supposed too (too thin to compress completely) and they will slip when you put the torque to them. also if someone put the wrong TYPE of oil in the bike it will slip also. :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try to replace the clutch spring yesterday after waiting a week for the part to come in. got everything taken apart and guess what... i have the wrong part, seeing how i never seen a clutch spring before i assumed the spring the shop gave me was the right one. so i changed the oil and put it back together. not bad now. only slips when i get to about redline. now i have to reorder the part and get a new gasket cover. hopefully they will give me a free gasket cover but i doubt it. have to change the oil again as i lost two pennies in the process. they slipped down in the little slit behind the gears. put them there in order to stop the gears from turning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts