Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Vulcan 1500 drifter bogs down and spits and sputters when I accelerate and put it under the load it will idle now but when I go to give it gas and take off or rev it up it will not stay and high acceleration it'll just slowly bog down and then I have to pump in the gas throttle 482 build back up and then I'm going to do it again but if I get it put it in gear it just bogs down and dies I don't know what to do I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Bogging can be caused by many things. Often it can be caused by incorrect amounts of fuel or air. You may want to have your fuel pump checked. What does the air filter look like? Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like?

You can try simple, cheap stuff first like a fresh set of plugs and a new air filter. Your bike will thank you for this even if it is not the source of this particular problem.

You can try running some fuel injector cleaner through it.

·
Super Moderator
10,968 Posts
i assumed it's a carb'd bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ohm out the throttle position sensor and check the wiring to it. Also wiggle the harness over the rear cylinder, some 1500 Vulcans had issues with the harness in that area vibrating/rubbing causing intermittent problems.. best guess from here.

Also open the throttle and check for excessive carbon build-up on the back of the throttle body butterfly, get some throttle body spray cleaner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 99 Vulcan 1500 drifter bogs down and spits and sputters when I accelerate and put it under the load it will idle now but when I go to give it gas and take off or rev it up it will not stay and high acceleration it'll just slowly bog down and then I have to pump in the gas throttle 482 build back up and then I'm going to do it again but if I get it put it in gear it just bogs down and dies I don't know what to do I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help
If this is a carb'd bike, drain your float bowls. Water can cause the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it's fuel injection. I changed the spark plugs and coils the throttle body I checked the water temperature sensor and I have a check most of the wiring and it's still doing it so I can either maybe it is the pickup coils or the fuel pump I'm leaving so but it's like it doesn't have pressure constant pressure of fuel coming to the line

·
Registered
2 Posts
My concern about throwing parts at the problem is that if the issue is accidently solved, eg. a loose or broken plug wire that gets pushed back to make a good connection after changing the plugs, people tend to think new plugs solved the problem. As a technician I see this all the time.
Correlation does not equal causation.
Proper diagnostics is absolutely the way to go. Test, check, observe. The best part is all of that is free.
I know this thought does not really point to a cause, but forum guesses are just that.
And yes, I know the majority of commenters are sincerely trying to help. If I had an idea of what to look for I would add my piece too. Good luck to you, I am sure you will solve the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts