Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a KLX 300r and plan to use it for both on and off road riding.

I've looked around and have not seen anything regarding a good tie pressure for riding on pavement. I've seen a lot of 15psi suggestions for off road use, but that seems pretty low to me for riding around 55 ish mph on pavement. The tires I have are not much help either.

Not sure if it matters but I'm new to riding and this is my first bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
The tire likely has the info you seek:

Look on the sidewall. Every tire mfr puts there their "max pressure at max load" psi or bar or whatever. It's a light bike, you're likely a light fella (or gal ;)) so I'd take that max pressure and subtract 5 or 8 psi, give it a try and adjust from there. I would, at all costs, completely ignore the owners manual and any stickers on the swingarm (hint, hint). Every mfr states notoriously low pressures for OE tires.

Then I'd look into getting a battery tender installed and stowing on-board some tire repair stuff (tube or tubeless, whatever you got) and a small Slime air compressor. Be prepared! I remember several flats out in the woods or in a sand pit. Not fun pushing all the way back, trust me!

·
Administrator
3,797 Posts
I don't know if copywrite would apply to an owner's manual particularly since Kawi no longer has it and if they had it, it would be free anyway. Service manuals are a different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Google is your friend. Free download. You may have to put Adobe Reader on your phone but then you can take the manual wherever you go. I do this with all my vehicles.

Thanks for the link. The owners manual will be vary useful.
Tire pressure on the manual is recommended 11-14psi for off road riding. Nothing given for pavement, but I'm not surprised. I don't think they intended the bike to go on road back then. I tried 14psi but didn't like how soft it felt. I'm going to play with increasing the pressure a little bit at a time until it feels better on the road and just lower it before going off road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts