Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on my way home yesterday. The bike overheated. The fan wouldn't come on.

When I got home, I carefully messed with the wires near the fan motor. By doing this, I was able to to get fan to come on. The fan would stay on as long as I had pressure on the wires, but as soon as I let go, the fan would go off again.

After the bike had time to cool, I attempted to duplicate the situation again. I let the bike warm up and messed with the wires again. No luck this time. The fan wouldn't come on at all. I know the bike was warm enough, because anti-freeze and steam began coming out of the (overflow?) hose under the bike.

I was thinking about removing the radiator and fan so I can get a better look and possibly test the fan, using the battery on my truck as a power source.

There are two switches/sensors on the bottom of the radiator. One is part number 27010 (has one wire connected to it), and the other is part number 27010A (has two wires connected to it).

Based on the part descriptions at bikebandit.com, 27010 is just called "switch", and part number 27010A is called "switch, fan". Maybe a stupid question, but can someone please give me a little better description as to what these switches are for?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Several years back, we (the dealership where I worked part time) sold a Vulcan 1500 to a friend's coworker. We (the friend, his buddy, three other guys, and I) took the bikes to Daytona. The Vulcan was new with almost no time on it, the only riding in 30 degree weather.

It boiled over within minutes when we got in some traffic on Atlantic Blvd. Took the Vulcan to the local Kaw dealer in the trailer, the fan switch which is a thermocouple type switch had been faulty and was replaced... problem solved. You pretty much seem to have isolated your issue to that switch. My bet is replacment will likely solve your issue.

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty confident the issue was nothing more than a poor connection at the fan switch, part number 27010A.

I tightened the female ends and reconnected to the switch. I then let the bike run for several minutes, and the fan DID come on. It stayed on for roughly 10 seconds, and kept coming on every couple of minutes, for roughly 10 seconds each time. I allowed the bike to run until the fan came on about 10 times.

Hope this solves this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts