Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kawasaki vulcan 1500 clicking noise from front cylinder head on compression stroke when rotating the engine by hand very distinct almost sounds like valve spring is broke when running gets louder with more throttle but more like a deep vibration like gas tank is real loose but its not and not a clicking sound when running is for sure coming from front cylinder head and its not cam chain I don't think checked tensioner one thing thou front cylinder cam chain has a lot more slack than rear cylinder on rear cylinder tensioner hardly extends at all front tensioner is way more extended

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
kawasaki vulcan 1500 clicking noise from front cylinder head on compression stroke when rotating the engine by hand very distinct almost sounds like valve spring is broke when running gets louder with more throttle but more like a deep vibration like gas tank is real loose but its not and not a clicking sound when running is for sure coming from front cylinder head and its not cam chain I don't think checked tensioner one thing thou front cylinder cam chain has a lot more slack than rear cylinder on rear cylinder tensioner hardly extends at all front tensioner is way more extended
I suggest you do a compression test to see if the compression is down on the front cylinder. If it is low, adjust the valves next.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1500 Vulcan has hydraulic lifters, no adjustment. The hydraulic lifters do fail to pump up sometimes after sitting a long while, go easy on it for a few miles see if it pumps up. I remember some people pulled the oil line feeding the heads and drilled out the banjo bolt openings slightly as they are quite small and can be a restriction. There's also a small bronze filter in the oil galley in the head that filters the oil to the lifters in the head.

Could be the KACR (Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release) you're hearing or maybe the KACR has a broken spring or other part. (holds an exhaust valve open during cranking, should de-activate via centrifugal force once engine starts) Some people removed these completely, may be harder to crank if removed,,, Also makes a compression test problematic if it's working properly...

Good luck with it,

·
Registered
55 Posts
As for the cam chain tensioners, iirc, DON'T turn engine over without them being installed, might have to re-do cam timing,,,

There are cam chain tensioner extenders available on line. Machined cap that goes over end of oem tensioner rod. The extenders seem to work fine and they don't seem to stretch past a certain point.

The 1500s have been known to have the cam chains get loose enough to saw a hole in the spark plug well tube and then leak oil... Tubes unscrew with spark plug socket from tool kit iirc. o-ring at both ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts