Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have had my 99 zx7r for about 7 months and I just jetted it with my friend. Everything seemed to work fine I rode it the next dayand it felt great mut that night I took it out and rode it pretty hard and now my bike is over heating and leaking out coolant from my reserve tank. I t doesn't seem like its getting any coolant to the radiator. I checked that thermostate and that works fine my water pump seems okay but I don't have a pressure tester to test it. Does anyone have any ideas of what it is and how to fix it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My first question is: What did you do when you jetted it? Did you go leaner or richer? By how much?

I know if you jet it too lean it could cause some overheating problems. But I'm not sure how serious. Try warming up the bike and feeling the radiatior, just to see if the warm coolant is making it through the radiatior.

Also check all the hoses and the radiator cap. If you have a small crack in a hose or if the cap isn't sealing properly, or faulty, the system couldn't build up enough pressure, which could lead to overheating. Check over the radiator itself to see if there is any damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I jetted it, it's not running lean it seems to be just fine. All the hoses are good but when I took my thermostat out and my water pump the rubber seal that goes in there is to big now. Could that have been the problem in the first place? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The seal shouldn't be too expensive, try and get a new seal and replace it and see if that corrects the problem. If the seal is too big it might be restricting the flow of coolant and could burn out your water pump (in theory)

Did you check to see if the warm coolant is making it to the radiator?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
airforce ninja said:
Hey,

I have had my 99 zx7r for about 7 months and I just jetted it with my friend. Everything seemed to work fine I rode it the next dayand it felt great mut that night I took it out and rode it pretty hard and now my bike is over heating and leaking out coolant from my reserve tank. I t doesn't seem like its getting any coolant to the radiator. I checked that thermostate and that works fine my water pump seems okay but I don't have a pressure tester to test it. Does anyone have any ideas of what it is and how to fix it?
ok it didnt overheat before you jetted it right ? so that would tell me you may actually be way lean. pull the plugs and look at them. they should be toasty brown/tan. if they are WHITE or GRAY then it is super lean and will cause overheating. if these things check out ok
THEN
your thermostat may have gone bad,your cap could be bad,your water pump may have crapped out, you could be low on coolant,
so how exaclty did you TEST the thermostat ? the gasket you talk about , is it just the small gasket that goes AROUND the thermostat where it sits in the houseing ? if thats the part im not sure why its too big now ?? :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the way I tested my thermostat was putting it in water and raised the temp and it opened when my service manual said it would. What plugs are you talking about, my spark plugs? I am very new at working on bikes so I don't know to much. How do I check to see if the warm coolant is making it to the radiator? Yes it is the gasket that goes around the thermostat and the one that goes in the water pump are both to big so when I add more coolant it leaks in both areas.

I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
airforce ninja said:
the way I tested my thermostat was putting it in water and raised the temp and it opened when my service manual said it would. What plugs are you talking about, my spark plugs? I am very new at working on bikes so I don't know to much. How do I check to see if the warm coolant is making it to the radiator? Yes it is the gasket that goes around the thermostat and the one that goes in the water pump are both to big so when I add more coolant it leaks in both areas.

I really appreciate the help
He's talking about your spark plugs. Inspect them and they can tell you a story without saying a word. Since you just rejetted - a question I have for you is what was your pilot screw set at on your carbs before you started and what are they set at now? Also did you or do you have an aftermarket full pipe system as well as new K&N individual filters or similar.

Do first:
With the fact that the gaskets from your thermostat are shot - you are probably not pressurized properly for the radiator and would be on the easy list to knock down. Just get some new gaskets. Also make sure you bleed the air from your radiator through the bleed hole. Fill coolant and level off the reserve tank between the fill lines.

If the above does not fix you can consider the following:
If you placed aftermarket air filter and did not change your pilot screw setting that will cause the bike to run lean because you are letting more air pass through without correct fuel combination to lower the temperature. If you set them according to the instructions on your jet kit I would think that you may have an air leak in your carb diaphram - may not have seated properly and all you would have to do is take the carb lid cover off and check to make sure they are seated properly. It could something as simple as it being pinched in the wrong spot. Or it could be just a minor adjustment of the pilot screw to take care of the lean issue.

Double check all of your adjustments that you made during the jetting.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1. Check coolant level. Fill up your coolant (filler by the thermostat), start your bike up and let it run for a few minutes and then check it again. Top off if necessary. Don't forget to check the level of the coolant in your overflow bottle. There does need to be some in there.

2. Is your cooling fan turning on when your bike heats up? If the sensor for the fan went bad it would cause your bike to overheat at stoplights on hot days. Also if your coolant level is too low no coolant will make it to the switch and your fan will only turn on after the bike has sat for 30 seconds or so.

I have also heard that the filler cap has a pressure release valve that could make your coolant system pressure to decrease if it is stuck open. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did replace the air filter with a k&n I also replaced the spark plugs a week before I jetted my bike. Will the spark plugs still be white or should they have already changed to a brown after a day of riding it? As of right now they are still white. If I am running way lean how do I correct that? I also have a Muzzy exhaust on my bike full system I know that plays a part with the jetting. I got the stage 1 jet kit as well. I'm going to go buy some new gaskets as soon as I get pad this week so I'll let you know how that works.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
you don't mention changing the pilot screw setting on your carbs? I would think that it would need to be changed in order to run correctly. Check your jet kit instructions and they should mention it. I know with the addition of the free flowing air filter, Muzzy pipe and jet kit Not enough fuel getting to the engine.

edited as information was incorrect. On the this bike you have ram air and need the original airbox to make the bike run right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do I change my pilot screw I lost my instructions. Is there any way of fixing it with out getting a stage 3 cause I'm in the military so they don't pay me a lot of money to where I can go out and buy another jet kit. I really appreciate everyones help.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
airforce ninja said:
how do I change my pilot screw I lost my instructions. Is there any way of fixing it with out getting a stage 3 cause I'm in the military so they don't pay me a lot of money to where I can go out and buy another jet kit. I really appreciate everyones help.
Do you have the stock airbox still? I'm hoping you do because there is not stage 3 kit for your bike. I just checked with Dynojets website.

The pilot screw setting was supposed to be at 2.5 turns out.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2170.pdf

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1. yes your plugs should be brown by now.
2. since you did a stage 1 then you still have the stock airbox
3. the AIR/FUEL screws are on the bottom of the carbs, there will be a small plug over them. drill the small plug and pull it out with a screw. i have a picture that i can send you email me at [email protected] and ill send it to ya.
4. this is def. why your running hot because you are very lean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the 2.5 turns and yes I still have the stock airbox. I went on line after you told me about the stage 3 and saw that they didn't have a stage 3 jet kit for my bike. Thanks for looking out for me. I'll try and adjust my screws in the carbs and see what that does. THanks again

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok, If you have the replacement air filter from K&N and have moved the pilot screws and not the sync screws were in business. If the screws were not turned to 2 1/2 turns out that would be your issue more than likely plus the gaskets. Should ride different now minimum. Keep in mind that the bike has a flat spot from the factory and will breathe at about 4K and above and you may have some hesitation at 2500 - 3500 rpms.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Make sure you didn't knock your fan plug loose or forget to plug it back in too.. That happened on my buddies bike after a service and started overheating and he couldn't figure out why. He took it back in and they forgot to plug the fan in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts