Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my name is Peter McMillan, I am 52 yrs , I live in Bristol with my girlfriend/baby mother. & my son of 20 months. My last bike was a beautiful ‘ grey ‘ Honda VFR 400, but that got nicked while I was living in Birmingham. I had ridden the machine from my home in Glasgow to Brum, but a week after it was stolen I met a young Jamaican student nurse from Bristol & that’s how I got here. Last week I bought a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 550, I’ve been blown away. I bought it in Southampton & rode it the 100 miles home. **** I missed being in the saddle . Well the bike was superb, for a week then it’s it seems as though the fuel mixture is shot to bits. I did run the fuel down to vapours & I am still not sure about the fuel petcock settin, that starved the bike of fuel on two occasions
Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like you’ve pulled the crud from the bottom of the tank into your carbs and blocked up the jets.

The carbs will need to come off for a clean and, whilst you’re at it, clean out the tank to prevent it happening again.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
After cleaning the carbs and cleaning out the rust from the tank, install a fuel filter in the line to the carbs. Coating the tank is probably a good idea but I haven't done that on my ZN700. I've read that red kote is a good coating. I just sloshed the gasoline around and dumped it a couple of times to get out the loose rust particles. Then I filtered the gas with a paper shop towel and put it back into the tank.

·
Registered
673 Posts
And don't forget to clean the petcock as well. Nobody likes to clean the carbs more than once in the same week.

It has also been reported on this site that the rubber fuel lines themselves could be breaking down internally and sending tiny bits of rubber into your carbs. Fuel line is cheap and on a bike this old they should be replaced regardless.
A broken fuel line can equal a very expensive camp fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts