Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need someone to tell me how to clean my carb on my bayou 220 and why does my bayou die when in 5th gear running wide open? Could this be a carb issue as well? I am not sure how to mess with carbs, but it can't be too hard as there isn't much to them. I want to clean it with as little as expense as possible, thanks.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Go to kawasaki.com and print out the parts diagram for the carburetor, and then have at it. These are simple and next to impossible to screw up, but do not bend the float arm, as they are almost always just fine.

If the float is off use the clear tube level method I addressed in the float level post today.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I use the liquid spray carburetor cleaner from Honda. Only because it is non-foaming and works, and I got a real deal on a few cases when a Honda dealer folded.

One caution on the Honda cleaner, if you wear photogrey eyeglasses with lenses made of the new polycarbonate plastic, it will dissolve the lenses, so use good eye protection to keep it away from those lenses.

Any good carburetor cleaner that does not foam is good. The foaming stuff is next to worthless as it just conceals the dirt and you end up blowing a ton of it around trying to find the crud, then having to use brake cleaner or starting fluid to clean it off the parts to see your progress. No sense spending money twice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... I took apart the carb, cleaned it and put it back together. I then changed the spark plug out and Voila, thar she runs and quite good too. I am pleased with my work and the money I saved myself verses taking it to a shop and having them charge me $100 if not more, lol. I really appreciate the friendly help here guys. Thanks again, Frank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys I will be posting pics of my Bayou in a few mins so that ya'll can see the changes I made like painted rims, racks and I pressure washed it and it looks and runs great after I cleaned the carb and fashioned an air filter element. Pics coming soon....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.