Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my way to class today and I go stopped behind about 15 cars at a stop light. Seconds after stopping I heard tires squealing, thought "oh ****", and hung on tight. Next thing I saw was pieces of my back end flying out in front of me and I lurched forward but was amazingly not thrown. Heres why....

Yeah I got stuck inside the SUV, kinda sucked.

The realization....the ninja 250 has redonkulous brakes that can stop an SUV, score one for the little guy. Oh and no injuries thankfully.

I've only had the bike 5 months and tried so dam hard to not let anything bad happen to it but nooooooo. It makes me sick thinking about how I have to buy another bike after the hassle it was to get my registration for this one. Dealership doesn't have the same bike and doesn't have the 2010s yet either....I was planning on selling my bike after I graduated college and buying another once I got moved. Now I can't decide if getting another is going to be worth it if this crap is going to happen again. Having to call my mom to come get me up after saying "an SUV just ran into me on my bike" isn't something I want to have to do again, but man I already miss riding. I sorta feel that "oh man I don't know if I can stomach getting on the bike for a while" but its more of a I don't want to get hurt and have someone tell me "I told you so". Sucks much.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Glad you're ok. Now let me ask you a question. Had you been in a car and got rear ended. Would you drive again? Might happen again... Life is dangerous you can't stop living. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, glad you're OK. Hey, they make bikes everyday. There's only one of you, remember that. To some folks all we are is a target. I still cringe everytime I go through an intersection. I can't speak for all of us but I bet many of us have had similiar accidents, close calls and some of us have paid the ultimate price. Learn from this and move on. You'll ride again. And to those people who would tell you " I told you so" have never riden. If riding is important to you, if it's part of your everday life you will continue to make it part of your life. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
+1 for the brakes stopping a silly SUV...but shame insurance isnt taking care of more. Just wait a few days and youll get on and you iwll be more carefully next time. Remember watch your mirrors and leave room for a get away :p

Dont let the bike be another brick in the wall and get back in the saddle soon

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Glad you're OK- so far. How are your teeth? Whiplash can damage them. Don't settle too quickly. What excuse did the driver have?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Noobie Yeah I've always thought about the one time I'll have to jet away from being hit, I always stay in gear at stops as well. Unfortunately traffic was backed up and I had absolutely no where to go in this case.

@Charlie No pains yet, necks a bit sore but I dont think its too bad. I was prepared for the collision so my head didn't really do a lot of snapping thankfully. Teeth are fine, bracers years ago were not in vain :)

On a positive note I guess I get to say even after getting hit by an SUV my bike has still yet to touch the ground.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said he was looking at my alaska tags and didn't notice traffic stopped :/

Seriously though, the more I stare at the pictures the more I think how the hell did the bike stay up and how was I not thrown 20 feet.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts

Seriously though, the more I stare at the pictures the more I think how the hell did the bike stay up and how was I not thrown 20 feet.
I hope Ron White was wrong when he said, "You can't fix stupid".

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In a way, you got kinda lucky there. That SUV's bumper bar was exactly the right height to climb your rear tire and trap it there. The front of that truck is basically resting on your wheel. If he'd been going any faster, he could've plowed you into the cars ahead.

It was hard for me to get back on a bike after my wreck...but I did take a 6-month hiatus to let my family 'cool off'. I catch myself gritting my teeth as I drive through intersections, right hand and right foot twitching over the brakes. You just can't let fear own you. You'd miss it, and if you're anything like me, you'll eventually be miserable without a bike in your life.

Maybe give yourself a little bit of time for the memory to start moving to the background, and start the hunt for a new bike. Craigslist is flooded with them if you're open to a gently used bike.

Good luck...and really glad this wasn't worse...it sure coulda been.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts

I'm gonna go with divine intervention on this one.

Glad to see you're okay after the accident. As for dingbat in the SUV, I hope he's learned a valuable lesson.

As for your riding, I'd say just give it time. Sometimes that's all it takes to realize you want to get back on the horse and ride again. Best of luck healing and godspeed.

·
I know nothing! :)
79 Posts
Imagesshack does not show at work, I will have to check this out at home..

Thank god you are ok!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts