Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, really getting into the mood to get a bike sometime in the next few months, i wanna get my classes out of the way and everything. IT may end up not being until next summer but i want a good idea of what i want now.

I had been looking at the 250 like most do and have a few questions.
I know this baby has some power, but is it enough power wheelie? Before i get ripped on for being a newbie and i shouldn't be doing them anyway, its just a power question, do they have enough power to do one?

What are a list of mods that you guys would go with and the websites to find them.

Also, i know the 500 is pretty much the same bike only a bit more powerfull, how much more are we talking, i'm sure alot. I know this boy will go up on 1 wheel.

I am 5'6 and weigh almost 150 right now. Would i even be able to fit comfortably on a 500?

Another thing, How do they sit passengers, i heard the 250 holds them well is that right? how about the 500? i think they look pretty much the same desighn but once again i havent seen or looked at the 500 very well.
WHat are a list of great mods and places to find them for the 500?

Also if you guys have a list of other websites that sell bikes ect. that have good deals on these two, thanks!

thanks again, i'm surei 'll have a few more questions soon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The EX500 makes about 50hp, and I think the 250 makes about 30. The 500 isn't really the same bike with more power. The 250 is lighter (I think about 75 lbs, which is a lot) and has a better fairing (in my opinion). I know who will chime in and tell you the good points about the 250, so I'll stick to the 500. You should fit on it fine. I'm a bit bigger, and I fit, but it's on the smaller side. It'll hold passengers, but I can't comment on how it goes, since I've never had one on there.

As far as a list of mods, the best thing I've found to do is search forums (this one, sportbikes.net), but the formula is pretty much the same: Pipes, jet kit, intake, sprocket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont know about the 250

Hey,
well im a bit like you when it comes to bikes. I jsut got my license and ive done alot of research before getting a bike. I asked many people about the 250, since it was so much cheaper then other bikes, but people kept putting me against it. The people I asked helped for knew bikes very well, so I took their word for it. Just to mention, im not a crazy rider who wants to do crazy things with my bike, I just wanna ride it and have fun, speeding will probably happen, but I know I wont overdo it nor will I be prompted to do wheelies and other things. Basically, im telling you that if you do get a 250, many people told me I would get fed up really fast because of the lack of power. Of course it is fast and can do alot, without a doubt, but they said that once I tried it out, I would know what they meant. I ended up buying a ZX-6 because it was nice and the price was right, but if I hadnt found it, I was looking at the 500cc's. Just some friendly advice...take it or leave it, I just felt like sharing it!! haha :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
{R}a{G}e said:
I had been looking at the 250 like most do and have a few questions.
I know this baby has some power, but is it enough power wheelie? Before i get ripped on for being a newbie and i shouldn't be doing them anyway, its just a power question, do they have enough power to do one?
I think the 250 has plenty of power. Not everyone agrees with me, especially people who've never been on one, but also including some people who have been on one. Will it do a wheelie? I know, but I won't tell you.

{R}a{G}e said:
What are a list of mods that you guys would go with and the websites to find them.
Try this: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9634

{R}a{G}e said:
Another thing, How do they sit passengers, i heard the 250 holds them well is that right?
My 250 does fine with a passenger.

{R}a{G}e said:
Also if you guys have a list of other websites that sell bikes ect. that have good deals on these two, thanks!
www.ebay.com
www.cycletrader.com

Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ninja250R

THe Ninja250R is 84pounds lighter 500R=388lbs 250R=304lbs BIG difference! Most people will tell you that the Ninja 250R has no power because they do not understand the power is (like in a real race bike) in the upper power RPM range...like from 8,000to nearly 14,000RPM on it...it does have power just MOST people don't know how to ride a 250R properly. YOu can change the sprockets and get more power but you decrease the top end from just a little over 100MPH (way to fast anyway), depending upon what gearing you use. If you are taller you should consider getting a taller replacement windscreen, there are several companies that produce them, after you get through your ridig courses you should order some serious tires and get away from the stock ones as they are not really sticky enough for anything much more than commuting (this is just my opinion, not everyone elses). The bike will do 2-up riding but it is not advisable to do this unless you have been riding for a while an deven then you will find it qquite different when you have two people on the bike that outweigh it. It easier to maneuver in parking lots and even in traffic as it weighs less, it gets better fuel economy, insurance is cheaper, and should someone steal it or you trash it somehow you haven't lost that much money. You will find tha that the 500R is a decent bike as well. It will do everything that a 250 will except it is heavier, but it has more modification materials available for it should you want to keep it for several more years. The ZX-6R or RR is lighter than the 500R (at 355lbs), but it is definately not a beginners bike. I won't go into it with you because I don't think, personally, that even if you are 400lbs and 6'4" that ANY beginner should go to a bike that is capable of racing right off the showroom floor. WE DO NOT ADVISE STUNTING on this FORUM. Motorcycles for stunting are re-enforced and are NOT stock factory bikes! Motorcycles only have two small postage stamp size contact patches on the ground unless you are crazy enough to remove one of those patches...Always wear a helmet, full fingered gloves a jacket long pants and Boots that support your ankles and lower legs. If you need any more info on the 250R just ask...the forum has several people that really support them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ride the bike first and get used to it before spending more money, But if you insist....

{R}a{G}e said:
Whichever bike you get, lighten the bike anyway you can - This will cost money ie Carbon Fiber or Magnesium rims (as much as your bike cost for Carbon Fiber)- the weight savings will be 4 to 1 due to the gyro effect of the weight loss and the wheels going round. The weight loss in wheels will allow you to turn faster, brake later and in a sense you will have a very flickable bike. If you lost 4 pounds in your rims, thats like losing 16 pounds in static weight when moving at speed.

If you a more cost effective and quick mod:
1. Dynojet kit Stage 1 for better driveability and stage 3 for pure performance - Keep in mind when you do a stage 3 you are going to mod#2
2. K&N Filters http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx
3. Pipes - Look for the lightest pipe possible that you like. Carbon Fiber, Titanium will typically cost more due to materials used, but you will find another item that is making your bike lighter.

{R}a{G}e said:
Another thing, How do they sit passengers, i heard the 250 holds them well is that right? how about the 500?
Make sure you adjust your bike for passengers if your rear shock has adjustability.
{R}a{G}e said:
www.cycletrader.com

Beware of online scams though.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
{R}a{G}e said:
Okay, really getting into the mood to get a bike sometime in the next few months, i wanna get my classes out of the way and everything. IT may end up not being until next summer but i want a good idea of what i want now.

If your not sure on when your going to get the bike, I would wait until the 04 models go on sale, especially since the 05 are already announced.
I have a 04 500R and love it, you get what your comfortable with, both the 250 and 500 are great starter bikes. My personal opinion on why I got the 500 over the 250, I knew I would grow out of the 250 quick, I am already wanting the Ninja 636!! This forum is great to get feedback, but just remember your the rider!! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts