Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a new rider, and have had my EX500 for almost two months now. The only problem I've had so far has been the cable coming out of the back of the speedometre a few times. I managed to get it back on myself twice, but this last time had to go into the dealer to have them replace it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Another question: When city riding at around 50-60 (km -- I'm Canadian) what does everyone rev at? I find the bike kind of loud and choppy sounding if I'm not reving over 3, but wasn't sure if this was bad for the engine? Anything to do to fix the low rev rumbling problem like modifications etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had my speedo cable come undone at 2k miles. It is just part of riding an ex500 from what I hear. I now reach under and check it real quick every so often.

V-twins are likely to run rough under a certain RPM, nature of the beast. I try to always keep rpms above 2,500 even if just putting down the road (except for at idle). I normally keep it around 4-5k plus. I cruise the highway at over 5k, so revs like this won't hurt it. Keep in mind, it isn't an auto. 5k rpms is nothing for a bike with an 11k redline.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Depending on the road and how long I'll be going straight before I need to speed up or slow down, I cruise between 5k and 7k RPM.

You probably want to keep the revs above 4k. I can check and see how it rides next time I'm on it, but I want to say anything below 3k or so and you really lug the engine when you try accelerating, which is not very good for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had my cable come out of the console once as well, pissed me off. Was going about 40, looked down at the speedo, and I as doing 0, lol.
I feel your pain on the 500. Next year, this bike is history for me :wink:

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I've never had any speedo problems with my 500R. It's now 3 yrs old.

I have, however had a problem with the speedo bracket that mounts to the upper fork under the fairing. I'm going on my third one. They seem to just rot out and break.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
My speedo cable came out twice, and my friends ex500 came out once. I suggest putting the cable on and using some sort of friendly pliers (so you don't bend any metal) and really torque the thing on, I'm currently past 8K miles since I put it back on last and havn't had any issues with it backing back out.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
yes, mine would come out all the time...I got tired of breaking a nail when I was putting back in!! :lol: :lol:
I finally wrapped some electrical tape around the base of it, so far...its working!!!!
hope this help...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If your bike is running rough - your cabs may out of sync. If you work on your bike, I would suggest investing in a vacuum gauge. It's really easy to sync your carbs.

Use loc tite on your threads and that should keep the speedo cable from backing out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts