Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get something off my chest. I got a txt message from another friend today that said a friend of ours, Andy was in an accident last thursday and was in a hospital in Cleveland. I don't know all the details but his fiancee Laurie (I've known her for years) told us that he hit a vehicle that pulled out in front him. Andy lost his right leg below the knee.
Haven't known Andy all that long but from what I do know about him is that he hasn't worked for the past few years or so because he was diagnosed as bi-polar. He tends to go at things full blast and at times can be unpredictable.
Andy used to race motocross years ago and has ridden dirt bikes for a long while. He just got a new vulcan 900 last year. We all know, riding dirt bikes sure as hell aint the same as riding a street bike. Like I said, I don't know all the details of the accident but take into account that this is about spring and this part of the country, you can't ride all year round. Matter of fact, from november to now not many riders are out so cagers aren't used to seeing bikes on the road yet. I'm not saying he was riding nonchalant or riding like he wasn't paying attention to what was ahead of him but given the fact that he doesn't have that much experience on the streets and has never taken the MSF course, the accident could have been his fault. Like I said, I don't know all the details so I can't really pass any judgment.
But, this incident is in my head.
Weather here is supposed to be nice for the next few days and I got my 900 classic all gussied up after giving her a bath tonite. I plan on taking a ride wednesday. I ride cautiously in that I'm looking hundreds of yards ahead of me all the time. And like many members here, have had some close calls in the past. I think you have to have some sort of fear when out on the bike but too much fear can make one just as vulnerable as fearless. I hope I don't psyche myself out too much thinking about this.

Lucky...

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
That sucks man. As if motorcycling wasn't already inherently dangerous enough, its scary to think of someone with a mental impairment like bipolar disorder piloting one on the public roadways.. My brother n' law is bipolar and half the time he cant rationally handle regular everyday decision making. I wouldn't ever want to see him driving or riding a vehicle on the road. Ironically, he also raced motocross as a teen.

Although, like you said, it may have not been his fault.

Like you I ride with what I like to call a "healthy fear", which I personally believe keeps me more aware and safer in the long run.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like you I ride with what I like to call a "healthy fear", which I personally believe keeps me more aware and safer in the long run.
Ditto what GreenD said.... I was struck by a car turning left in front of me.... right in front of me on a slow stretch of commercial restaurants thank god... last minute I let the sportbike take the brunt by turning the front end into the bumper and pulling my left leg up and out of the way... in happened in milliseconds.... bike was written off of course and only walked away with a left fractured wrist from the force being applied to the front forks on contact.... got all my bills paid for by the drivers insurance company and bike replacement. My bike was only 1 month old.... I was ****ed as you can well imagine. When healed I got back up on the new bike and thought be damned if I'm gonna be forced of the road by an idiot and not ride again.... people at work thought I was nuts... but I refused to be run off this hobby by an incident. This was just another learning lesson which is good and heightened my awareness during my rides. Besides I just reason that if this is my sport/hobby I'm gonna eventually get hurt. Its just the nature of the beast... and I accept that risk... for the fun I get out of it. U need not psyche yourself out :biggrin:

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I'm bipolar, and properly medicated. I have no problems with everyday decisions, and ride responsibly and well. Just because someone is bipolar does not preclude them from any activities in life that people who are not bipolar engage in. If a bipolar person is highly unstable they are either not on meds or they need a new psychiatrist to help them get everything under control.

I just thought I'd throw that out there as it seems unfair to place blame based on his condition.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope his recovery goes well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must agree with that, get the meds to make everything a lil more even is the way to go.
I hope your friend is able to adapt to his recent misfortune as quicly as possible. Sounds like he will need a bit of help from you and his other pals to make this ordeal bareable.
Keep it rubber side down and both eyes on the road.
Happy St. Patties Day all.:biggrin:

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Bipolar or not a cager got in front of him so no options there. Hope it goes well for him and his family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts