Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I dont think that that is a bad idea. Of course, the first model is never perfect but give it time and Im sure they will have a good helmet rear view system in place. Thats pretty cool. Alot of people around here eliminate their mirrors on the bike and it looks **** good like that but they cant see behind them so this would help with that. Id buy one.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
sure would be nice on my 650R. I have problems seeing around my arms with the stock mirrors. I'd been thinking about the idea of a camera mounted on the back to eliminate the mirrors completely.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Dave,

I've been addressing the same problem on my 650r. I managed to adjust them by tilting the arm back further (towards the rear), and then adjusting the mirrors. I can now see a panoramic view of everything behind me. I haven't actually ridden again since doing that, so I'm not sure if the problem is fixed.

Also, I went to Walmart and picked up some of those small, round, stick-on mirrors and I'm going to try those to help with any blind spots.

I was thinking about attempting to place some type of rubber shim under the base to extend the arm out further, but I haven't tried that yet.

My riding buddy is having the same issue with his new Katana.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Dave,

I've been addressing the same problem on my 650r. I managed to adjust them by tilting the arm back further (towards the rear), and then adjusting the mirrors. I can now see a panoramic view of everything behind me. I haven't actually ridden again since doing that, so I'm not sure if the problem is fixed.

Also, I went to Walmart and picked up some of those small, round, stick-on mirrors and I'm going to try those to help with any blind spots.

I was thinking about attempting to place some type of rubber shim under the base to extend the arm out further, but I haven't tried that yet.

My riding buddy is having the same issue with his new Katana.
There's an aftermarket item that is basically a metal extension base that bolts on under the base mount of the mirror. I haven't bought any yet. I've been looking at other bikes with longer stalks to see how they might fit the 650, but I don't want the mirror sticking out so far that I'm bumping them on things all the time. I even thought about getting the mirrors that clip on to the ends of the grips.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Great idea, but unless they adapt it to half helmets, won't sell in this country!
I don't know, Tina. I think at least as many people wear FF as halfies.

I think the issues will be price, fit, and quality. Functional quality products that are affordable do well in this country.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I don't know, Tina. I think at least as many people wear FF as halfies.

I think the issues will be price, fit, and quality. Functional quality products that are affordable do well in this country.
So you're telling me I can't start a fight this morning? :mrgreen:

Most days I don't want to see what's behind me, it scares the crap outta me!

But you are right. Those with enough common sense will be interested.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
So you're telling me I can't start a fight this morning? :mrgreen:

Most days I don't want to see what's behind me, it scares the crap outta me!

But you are right. Those with enough common sense will be interested.
That's what I was doing.;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Looks like it has potential. I wonder what effect the suns reflection has coming through the rear window when it's on your back. Maybe a little blinding as it hits the viewing mirror. I'd like to try one out.

D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If other manufacturers would also adapt the idea, that would be a great sell for me. I tend to stick with ARAI helmets. Perhaps it just takes a lot of getting used to the small image inside the helmet, but I sure does eliminates turning your head completely for quicker reactions.

This would really serve beneficial to the racing world as well.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like it has potential. I wonder what effect the suns reflection has coming through the rear window when it's on your back. Maybe a little blinding as it hits the viewing mirror. I'd like to try one out.

D
I wondered about that myself. Headlights at night might be an issue too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If the helmet is designed right and carefully thought off, there should be a way to close the mirrors on the helmet.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I dont think that that is a bad idea. Of course, the first model is never perfect but give it time and Im sure they will have a good helmet rear view system in place. Thats pretty cool. Alot of people around here eliminate their mirrors on the bike and it looks **** good like that but they cant see behind them so this would help with that. Id buy one.
Wow, I wouldn't want to ride my bike without mirrors on it, I am way to dependant of them. I gotta know what going on behind me as well as anywheres else. jmo

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
if you extend the mirrors on your sport bikes then how will you be able to do the chicken dance and it have some sort of purpose? :p Cool idea would like to see some more R&D on it

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Many years ago, I did a lot of bicycle riding, sometimes 100 miles or more. I looked at every gadget that came along (I wrote some reviews for "Bike World" magazine). A small number of those ended up as part of my riding gear. I was one of the first to wear a helmet (back in the mid-1970s, that was revolutionary and I got a lot of comments). I also had a mirror that clipped onto the helmet, or to my sunglasses.

I discovered that, once I got used to it, I really worked the heck out of the thing. I'd hear a sound and just move my head a little bit to capture whatever it was in the mirror (up close, a tiny mirror has a vast field of view), and to this day, sometimes I will catch myself trying to have eyes in the back of my head, looking where the mirror used to be.

This helmet looks like a great development. I'll bet you'd get used to it quickly, and then stop noticing how much you use the thing -- except when you're not wearing it, and you complain to yourself about having to actually turn you head to look around.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Depending on the demand from retailers and distributors, the rear-view motor-sport helmets are expected in the shops by early 2006.
I've been waiting two years for these to show up in the states. Somehow, I think this is destined to be one of those Euro only items. I'd sure like to try one though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts