Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I just got done with my Jardine forward control installation and my shift side isn't right. The shifter can't move freely, I have to move the shifter both ways aith my foot like something is binding. Actually it does apear to be rubing in the area of the 3 allan bolts on the bracket. Any thoughts?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Not sure, though when I installed the Mapam forward controls on my old Mean Streak I had to shave some metal from the clamp becuase it was rubbing against the motor case. Are you able to rotate the clamp on the shifter output shaft to a slightly different position, and adjust the linkage to fit.....to see if the binding goes away?

·
Hangin' by a thread.....
619 Posts
Hey all I just got done with my Jardine forward control installation and my shift side isn't right. The shifter can't move freely, I have to move the shifter both ways aith my foot like something is binding. Actually it does apear to be rubing in the area of the 3 allan bolts on the bracket. Any thoughts?
Disconnect the splined collar that mounts to the shift shaft that goes into the engine. Then see how the pedal works while not connected. If it's still binding, the way you mounted the pedal is where the problem is (maybe too tight where it pivots).

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Disconnect the splined collar that mounts to the shift shaft that goes into the engine. Then see how the pedal works while not connected. If it's still binding, the way you mounted the pedal is where the problem is (maybe too tight where it pivots).
Yeh, if you never noticed a probelm with the stock shifter..then it has to be an issue arising from the forward control linkage itself. And maybe the pivot angle is too tight, that could easily cause binding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys I have figured it out. I disconnected the shifter lever from the linkage rod and the lever rotates freely, so I narrowed it down to the linkage rod rubbing on the black backer plate/bracket. I shimmed the whole set out about 1/4" and that improves but does not solve it. I could simply grind the bracket away to allow for some clearance but for 600.+ bucks I don't feel I should have to. Now just waiting to see if they are going to replace the complete set, shifter side, or just the bracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts