Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1980 –when I first started riding---the KZ1000 was the s**t-------they were massive bikes with 100 or so horses----this was about the time when the inline 4cyl bike was really catching on-----a noob had no business being on this bike. A guy at work bought one of these—brand new----he was a smaller guy----when riding that bike he looked like a fly trying to wrestle a buffalo----that’s just how big and heavy that bike was. Most people at the time were used to Harley performance----and these KZ’s were off the scale---literally. Remember the old CHiP’s shows----that’s why they ruled the road----nothing else came close to that kind of speed and acceleration.

Then in the late 80’s------early 90’s---they really started upgrading the bikes and sportbikes were really coming into their own.

The 600 of today will smoke those old KZ’s----same 100 horses---but 150lbs less weight and an engine that red lines at 14,000rpm’s instead of like 8,500 or so. A 600 is faster and quicker than ANY street legal car on the road----do you really understand just how fast that is??

My first bigger bike was a 82 Yamaha 650 Maxim---bought new in 84----it had like 65 horses and weighed around 500lbs-----and this would still eat up ANY car on the road. That was considered a good in-between bike then---too much for the noob-----boring for the expert.

Those considering the 1000cc bike of today----185 horses and 375lbs-----Do you even have a clue what this bike is capable of?? This bike will nail you into the pavement---when it comes on top of you---from throttle only.

The 600 of today is NO noobs bike----as its more bike than those old KZ’s---and that was an expert’s bike. The 1000 bike of today is an expert’s bike---as in YEARS of experience---and even then it’s questionable if someone should get on one----a noob has no idea what one of these is like----hell if you’ve never ridden before----a 600 will make you crap you pants. If you’ve never been on a bike before---you just have no idea what these are all about----get a 250 or 500 and learn to ride first-----before you even think about mounting one of these space launch vehicles.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Omaha,

The reason you and I and many riders from the 80's are still here is not because of just luck. We have learned to minimize our risk and understood that a motorcycle must be respected. Todays generation is about how many horsepower, is it the biggest and baddest bike there is and have forgotten about pure riding skills regardless of ride.

It seems that there are many noobs that are embarrassed to ride a 250 to start with or its not cool enough to ride a 500r. Those riders do not have the maturity to think beyond the next bike night out and what OTHERS will think. Quite frankly an older (85-89 or so) Ninja 600r or Gpz550 was a great bike to take steps on compared to going straight for infinity with a new 600 or liter bike of 2004.

These are also the same people that ride in shorts and t-shirts as safety gear. It pisses me off when we scrape another kid off the pavement and it happens daily in LA with as many riders as there are. The usual result being severe injury if they are lucky and the unfortunate ones - death. When I was 18, I couldn't die either. Big S on my chest that said invinceble. Only kryptonyte could put me down. After seeing one of my good friends die, that was the wake up call and I yielded and slowed down. It's kept me alive this long. Hopefully someone reads this and is meaningful to them. Omaha - we are just trying to keep our youth alive, but if they are not listening - there is no more we can do.

·
Registered
605 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Todays generation is about how many horsepower
Hmmmm, I'm 19, well...20 in september so I guess that would make me today's generation. In no way does that statement apply to me, you know how I can tell, because I don't even know how much my Virago 750 has and truth be told I don't really care

I realize you were talking about in general and I understand where you are coming from but just know that it doesn't apply to all :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a very good point. Some poeple have never ridden a bike. I have, but only in a parkinf lot and under like 15 mph. Even so, the power was enormas, but still respectable. It is my personal beleive that the average n00b dies like this:

STAGES:

1.N00b buys bike and fears it, keeping him in line for a while.
2.Gets over fear and now respects bike
3.Becomes confident in his ablities, sometimes to the point that he isn't very good, but thinks he is.
4.1 of 3 things happen. 1. noob realizes his skill level, and ridea accordingly. 2. noob rides past his skill level, has close call, and comes to a more reasonable riding level. 3. Rides past his skill, looses it and either dies, or becomes seriously injuried.

I feel I will go throught all stages, except at stage 3, I will be the guy riding his bike responsibly. Now 20 years from now, a 600cc will prolly be twice as fast as today's 1000's, And I won't reccomend getting one, but poeple will anyway. Which is fine, they could be responsible, or they can loose it and get hurt. I think that If you really respect YOURSELF, and OTHERS ont he road, you will be ok. Please, i feel this is the truth, If you have anything to add, please do so.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Stuart said:
1Adam12 said:
Todays generation is about how many horsepower
Hmmmm, I'm 19, well...20 in september so I guess that would make me today's generation. In no way does that statement apply to me, you know how I can tell, because I don't even know how much my Virago 750 has and truth be told I don't really care

I realize you were talking about in general and I understand where you are coming from but just know that it doesn't apply to all :wink:
Hey Stuart - actually what I should have stated was that it was a generalization and was more specific to sportbikes. Thanks for understanding though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: A Little History Lesson for the Noob Wanting That Big Bi

OmahaRider said:
Those considering the 1000cc bike of today----185 horses and 375lbs-----Do you even have a clue what this bike is capable of?? This bike will nail you into the pavement---when it comes on top of you---from throttle only.
Well I do know. And I would definitely NOT recommend a liter bike to any noob. My previous bike was a 90 Ninja ZX750. The 750 had just over 100 HP and was something like about 500lbs wet. The thing moved like stink. When I finally finished breaking in my ZX-10, I decided to see what she can do. I spun her up to about 8k in first gear and was already about to bust past the 60's in MPH. The acceleration was so intense I had to back off to compose myself. My 750 never pulled that hard in any gear. Also keep in mind, when I made that run in the 10, I never had the throttle past half way. If I had gone full throttle, you can be rest assured that my front wheel would be well off the ground with me flying down the road doing 90+ MPH. My 750 I could go full lock on the throttle and would never have a problem.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Omaha,

The reason you and I and many riders from the 80's are still here is not because of just luck. We have learned to minimize our risk and understood that a motorcycle must be respected. Todays generation is about how many horsepower, is it the biggest and baddest bike there is and have forgotten about pure riding skills regardless of ride.

It seems that there are many noobs that are embarrassed to ride a 250 to start with or its not cool enough to ride a 500r. Those riders do not have the maturity to think beyond the next bike night out and what OTHERS will think. Quite frankly an older (85-89 or so) Ninja 600r or Gpz550 was a great bike to take steps on compared to going straight for infinity with a new 600 or liter bike of 2004.

These are also the same people that ride in shorts and t-shirts as safety gear. It pisses me off when we scrape another kid off the pavement and it happens daily in LA with as many riders as there are. The usual result being severe injury if they are lucky and the unfortunate ones - death. When I was 18, I couldn't die either. Big S on my chest that said invinceble. Only kryptonyte could put me down. After seeing one of my good friends die, that was the wake up call and I yielded and slowed down. It's kept me alive this long. Hopefully someone reads this and is meaningful to them. Omaha - we are just trying to keep our youth alive, but if they are not listening - there is no more we can do.

All very well said....and I support you 100%.
I am proud to be riding a 500 as my first bike. I cant stress enough to new riders/exsisting riders....take the MSF class, don't EVER, EVER let the bike control you, get whats comfortable to you not what looks cool!! I ride 5 miles o/w to work and still on have full gear no matter how hot it is here in Arizona, its not about how far I am going but how safe I can get there.
My goal is to build up my riding skills on my 500 ride until I am ready to move up to that Ninja 636, until then I love what I have and respect it. 8)

·
Registered
134 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
I ride 5 miles o/w to work and still on have full gear no matter how hot it is here in Arizona, its not about how far I am going but how safe I can get there.
You should move further away from work! :)

My morning ride to work is 12 miles. Somehow, it's closer to 25 miles going home. Riding makes a work day so much nicer! We'll have T-Storms this afternoon though, so it was "drive the stupid car" day... :cry:

Back to the topic, do you think you will get to a point riding when you feel that the Ninja 500 isn't enough bike? I haven't ridden one, but I gather it is very fast and fun to ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good thread.

The 500r will soon be mine as a starter bike, after I take the MSF course and get the parents approval. ;) From there, I suspect I will keep the bike for 1 and a half to 2 years, since this coincides with going to college and it gives plenty of time to get to know the bike.

Following that, I suspect I will grab me a CBR600.

Relax guys, I didn't say the H word. :p

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
tlwisner said:
NinjaGirl said:
I ride 5 miles o/w to work and still on have full gear no matter how hot it is here in Arizona, its not about how far I am going but how safe I can get there.
You should move further away from work! :)

My morning ride to work is 12 miles. Somehow, it's closer to 25 miles going home. Riding makes a work day so much nicer! We'll have T-Storms this afternoon though, so it was "drive the stupid car" day... :cry:

Back to the topic, do you think you will get to a point riding when you feel that the Ninja 500 isn't enough bike? I haven't ridden one, but I gather it is very fast and fun to ride.
Starting to feel a little bit bored with my bike and soooo want the Ninja 636....but I also have alot to learn and don't want to have regrets getting the 636 and not truly feeling comfortable at the next level...know what I mean?

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the bike world---your 500 might not be the biggest and baddest------but in the big picture----I suspect a new Ninja 500 is faster than my old Yamaha 650-----which is to say----faster than any car on the road.

Something to ponder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the big downside to the EX500 (I have a '98...) is the lack of a full fairing. It's certainly not acceleration. It may not lift the front wheel on demand, but up through 3rd gear, it DOES accelerate faster than any supercar. The fairing thing is just a matter of preference, and around town, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Narcisse91 said:
I think the big downside to the EX500 (I have a '98...) is the lack of a full fairing. It's certainly not acceleration. It may not lift the front wheel on demand, but up through 3rd gear, it DOES accelerate faster than any supercar. The fairing thing is just a matter of preference, and around town, it makes no difference.
Look at my sig, you can have one of those too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I totally agree with you, OmahaRider. many people dont understand that.
and its not just a question on displacement. cause i know many people who have never had a bike, who dig for 600 R´ss, i guess what they want is a fast bike, so they choose a racing bike. What they dont notice is that a regular 600 (bandit, hornet, fzs fazer or even a ninja 500 R) is fast as hell.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
i think this post is totally wrong. i think its been established that a 600cc bike is just a smidgen too much for the average person. but for a smart, bigger person who has common sense, a 600cc bike is perfect. it all depends on the rider.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
psycho messiah said:
i think this post is totally wrong. i think its been established that a 600cc bike is just a smidgen too much for the average person. but for a smart, bigger person who has common sense, a 600cc bike is perfect. it all depends on the rider.
I don't think your second point was established at all.

·
Registered
605 Posts
oh, really psycho messiah, please tell us all about your 600cc sportbike experience.

Sincerely,
Stuart Parker
a.k.a. anxious to read the reply

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Stuart said:
oh, really psycho messiah, please tell us all about your 600cc sportbike experience.

Sincerely,
Stuart Parker
a.k.a. anxious to read the reply
I personally didnt have one, but from my cousin in the navy(who started out on a gixxer 6, and now rides gixxer 1k's) and from other 600cc sport bike riders, they pretty much say the same thing. i never once heard someone who rode a 600cc sport bike say " oh god im glad i got rid of that thing, it was too much for me to handle. ill stick with the gs500 now." show me someone who has had that exoerience with a 600cc sport bike, around this time, not no 80's 600, and ill reconsider my thoughts on a gixxer 6.

Sincerely,
your lord and master,
Brodie
A.K.A. STFU

1 - 20 of 119 Posts