Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker offered me a price I couldn't refuse for my old 3rd generation Nano so I sold it to him for $75.00. Then I looked on eBay and found a nice used 5th gen for $90.00 so I figured I'd try it out. I wasn't sure what all the new 5th gen featured, but after receiving it and reading up on the features....I think it is perfect for the bike. Of course it stores and plays my favorite mp3s, but it also has a video camera to record some of my favorite riding spots. In addition, there is also a FM receiver that works really well and it has "live pause". You can actually pause live radio and restart it. Another plus (I don't remember my older ones having this) is that you can make all of the fonts large. That makes it easier to read when mounted.

I'm in the process now of making a bracket to hold it on my bars. It will need to be mounted sideways for the best video frame. I had planned on using my iPod touch but it is so large and really doesn't do as much as this. This new 5th gen is about the size of the 1st gen Nanos plus it is thinner and lighter.

Here's a little vid I recorded on it early this morning while driving my truck. It was early and overcast, but I think it will take some pretty decent video on a clear day. I was holding it upright so the frame is small.....it needs to record on it's side.

YouTube - Movie

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
My iPhone does everything your iPod does (except the FM receiver, but on the other hand I have unlimited web radio), PLUS full GPS function. :cool:

(oh, and I almost forgot, I can also take and make calls with it) ;)

I'm happy you like your ipod! :mrgreen:

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Did he mention his iPod was $0 a month ?
So what you're saying is that he has no cell phone? :rolleyes:
(otherwise he has the monthly fee as well... ;) )

Seriously, I'm just messing with you guys! He prolly has a better video cam as well, and my iphone costs a hell lot more also, so it's not a fair comparison. :smile:

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I must admit, I can't afford an iPhone. The idea was to have a unit I could pretty well just leave mounted.
Me neither, really, but I got the 3G cheap from a colleague when he bought the 3GS. :wink:
All my spendable cash goes into my bike, pretty much. But I' just ordered a mount for the bike that is weather proof AND touch sensitive, so I will have a lot of use for it on the bike - listening to music and driving in the right direction... :D

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
I'm heading in the iPod direction too. Been using the wife's iPod plugged in to my Scala Rider. Can they handle the vibration when mounted on the bars? My Garmin 340 gps didn't like it.

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
I have used my ipod on my bike for months and had no problem with vibration at all. It works like a charm, the downside is you either have to charge it before you ride or charge it off your battery. Not sure what the wattage is, but I don't want to be stuck because I was charging my ipod, so I charge before the ride. The FM radio is okay, but the reception is pretty poor, that is what you get with an internal antenna. Having said that it works great for me. I am working on installing it on my new bike

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used my ipod on my bike for months and had no problem with vibration at all. It works like a charm, the downside is you either have to charge it before you ride or charge it off your battery. Not sure what the wattage is, but I don't want to be stuck because I was charging my ipod, so I charge before the ride. The FM radio is okay, but the reception is pretty poor, that is what you get with an internal antenna. Having said that it works great for me. I am working on installing it on my new bike
The antenna is external on the 5th gen. It uses the earphone plug in as the antenna. Mine picks up better than the one in my cage. As for vibration, is also has a pedometer built in so it is set up to be shook....not to mention the shake to shuffle feature.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ipod magnet

I have a stereo system on my 900LT that uses a Nano with those rubber strip magnets to attach it to my gas tank. Works very well and sounds super thru the speakers attached to my windshield frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.