Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really noticed it till now, may have something to do with colder temps, but at an idle there is an dull "oil canning" noise about every 20-30 seconds. It doesn't seem to be from the engine. I suspect it is a normal noise from the fuel or emissions system. Anybody else heard that?

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Mine makes kind of a quiet "pook" every so often while it's cold. Seems to be coming from the EFI. Either it goes away once the motor is warm or I don't hear it over all the other noise the thing makes. I think others have posted about EFI related noises in the past.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
My 900LT doesn't make that kind of noise, but does make a noise that doesn't sound normal. It started a few months ago. As soon as you start it, there is a whinning type of noise....almost sounds like air getting intot he motor too....hard to describe....but we took it to our local dealer (where we bought the bike) and they tried to tell us it was a "normal V-Twin noise after break in". We knew better!!!! Our mechanic checked and said he thought the noise was coming from the front left area, like where the starter gears are. Since this is warranty work, he can't take it apart and check further.

So, Saturday we rode all the way to Fredericksburg, VA to try a dealership recommended to us. Thank goodness!!!! Their mechanic took it for a spin and agreed the noise was NOT normal!!! He said the noise is even louder coming out the end of the muffler!!!! He thinks there may be a cyclinder problem!!!!

We have an appointment on November 16th. I'll update 900 owners on what they find!!!!

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[Mine makes kind of a quiet "pook" every so often while it's cold. Seems to be coming from the EFI. Either it goes away once the motor is warm or I don't hear it over all the other noise the thing makes. I think others have posted about EFI related noises in the past.]

Yeah, that sounds like it. It's hard to explain the noise. When I've listened for it, it seems to come from above the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.