Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend is riding his new bike with pipes that have no heat shield. He typically rides wearing Dr. Martin shoes or boots, which is what he was wearing today. Well, guess what? Those pipe are hot enough to melt the soles and now he's got ugly black/golden melted rubber on his nice brushed pipes.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the stuff off? A good solvent?

Thanks in advance,
John

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i actually have this same problem with my Cobras that were on my Nomad, my pant leg of my rain gear melted to them in traffic, after it stopped raining. not sure how to get it off, i guess i will have to wait and see what people say.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Try acetone or MEK. Be sure to use good ventilation and remember this stuff is highly flammable. Finish off with some chrome cleaner/ploish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what a mess

What is sounds like in both of your cases you've polymerized your plastic (shoe rubber is synthesized rubber) on to a very hot surface. the best plastic solvent is something called tetrahydrofuran (THF). I don't know of any cleaners that may have that in it(read the label) but if you can find a local chemist friend, he can get it for you. It should be safe on your chrome. Other choices would be some acids, but that could damage the chrome on the exhaust. You can also experiment with some paint thinners, they may disolve it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a piece a fiber (polyester I think) melted on my Muzzy 2-1 heat shield which is made out of stainless steel. The only way I was able to removed the entire stuff off the heat shield was using a buffing wheel like this one http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/sspolkit.html. The buffer mounts to a hand held drill and worked really well with a little bit of elbow grease.

·
32,545 Posts
yeah, i was debating some kind of solvent and a buffing wheel on my dremel. i can sort of experiment on the pipes, since i will be getting rid of them anyways. the worst that can happen is i have to sell them without the heat shields that are already messed up to begin with ! thanks for the advice guys !

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ispeed77 said:
yeah, i was debating some kind of solvent and a buffing wheel on my dremel. i can sort of experiment on the pipes, since i will be getting rid of them anyways. the worst that can happen is i have to sell them without the heat shields that are already messed up to begin with ! thanks for the advice guys !
If you damage the heat shield, you can always wrap it with an insulating warap (e.g., http://www.autobarn.net/exinwrbyth.html) on the heat shield or directly to the exhuast pipe. I seen some custom bikes with insulating wrap directly wrapped around the exhuast pipe serving as heat shield.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I've not melted my boot but I did brush up against my pipe with my chaps once and it left a black shadow on it. luckily it wasn't a hard melt or burn job and a little elbow grease took care of it and cleaned it right off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I managed to get black leather shoe polish melted on my muffler. I must have rubbed up against it somehow. Soap and water did nothing, but hondapolish spray took it off in like 2 seconds. It also cleaned all the break dust/chain oil combo that managed to super-glue itself to my rear wheel. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used a brass wire brush on a melted rain suit.

·
32,545 Posts
wow, a bunch of ideas in short time. now i have to get off my butt and actually use one of them. thanks again for all the ideas guys, and i am sure John will be saying the same, since it is his post.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. Haven't tried anything yet, but I did read somewhere that WD-40 will remove melted rubber from exhaust pipes. The website I read it at, which was some site that was showing some 2,000 uses for WD-40 specifically stated, "Will remove melted rubber from exhaust pipes" so I think we're going to give that a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll report back.

Cheers,
John

PS - It's 75 today in Phoenix. I know...I know...I only get to gloat now because in a few months it'll be 112 here. For now, it's beautiful and I'm riding.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
John....How do you like your new pipes now that you've had them for awhile?

P.S. Isn't WD-40 good for breakfast cereal and coffee also? ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have heard White Vinegar will melt that burnt rubber. And another solvent to try is brake cleaner! See ya,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whistle clean said:

Pipes are top-shelf and I'm never getting rid of them. Another pipe manufacturer would really have to step up to the plate to get me into their pipes. For now, Hard Kromes are my pipe of choice. Couldn't be happier.

Cheers,
John

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
whistle clean said:

I think your crossing discussion threads but yes WD-40 on an English Muffin is great too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
EZ OFF oven cleaner the one you use cold spray it on the pipe leave on overnite wash it off the next morning itwill not harm the pipe .DO NOT USE A BUFFING WHEEL.Take your time it dose work.Phil

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

like slick-i use oven cleaner,just DON"T get it on anything else :grin:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I clean it off while the pipes are still hot. Use a rag with car wash soap on. After you do this a couplle of times, you learn to keep the boots away from the pipes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts