Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
for us with snow, a new biking season is starting. The days are getting longer and the temperature warmer. A few of us have been fortunate enough to take their bikes out for the first time. One of our friends hadn't ride a bike for 20 odd years and decided to buy one. He decided to start riding again. Many recommended that he take a course or at least go practice in a parking lot to get the feel for it again. Out of pride, he did not heed.
Today, we learned that he lost control in a curve and fractured his leg in 2 places, broken a vertebrae, broken 3 ribs and punctured his lung with the handlebars. Please, for all the riders out there who have not taken the bike out for some time, don't let pride be the death of you. There is no shame in a little practice or a few safety courses. It's too bad that things like this have to happen before we all realize how important the basics are.
Our friend will make it...he is messed up but he will be alright.

Ride safe everyone.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
An expensive lesson indeed. Glad he is alive to be able to remeber the story. May he get well soon..:)

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
My buddy (H-D Road King) took his bike in for a tune-up, his daughter drove him to pick it up. By-passing several miles of road construction, he took my favorite local trail, leaving town and passing by a 2000-acre reservoir and a bayou on the other side of the road (all blacktop, very scenic). Big, easy curves.

He didn't quite make the final curve to get him back onto the original highway. Broke five ribs, bruised his heart, broke a leg. He is a chain smoker and cannot cough to clear his lungs, so he was still in intensive care yesterday.

To be honest, he retired because of heart problems, and it is very likely that he had some medical problem, causing him to miss the curve. Could have blacked out for a few seconds. Could have been looking at the scenery (lots of trees in bloom). He cannot remember the wreck. Physically, he should be okay, but I honestly don't know how many more years he has because of his medical problems.

Be careful, guys and gals.

·
For the love of chrome!
603 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddies wiping out, that really sucks.

Hey Deminar,

I noticed that your from Memramcook, we're in the same neck of the woods, I'm in Moncton.

·
Motorcycle Nerd
158 Posts
It's good to hear he will be fine. I always recommend the safety course for everyone. In PA it is free and they give you a license when you pass. Plus you save money on insurance

·
For the love of chrome!
603 Posts
Here in Atlantic Canada the price for the Motorcycle Safety course seems to go up $20.00 every year, it's now up to $430.00! And I don't think that anybody gets a break on their insurance for taking it either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts