Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is a 2007 V2K-LT.

A couple of weeks ago we were at a rally over a four day weekend. On the third day, a cold front came thru and night time temps dropped to the 40s. The next day we headed home and my battery was dead. OK, now your thinking like me, cold weather got the 2-1/2 year old battery. That's pretty normal even though I usually get 3 or even four years out of them in the past.

Jumped the bike off and headed home but never shut it off as it was only a couple hundred miles to the house. Put it straight in the shop and ordered a new battery.

Next week, riding all day it got hard to start. HMMM Strange, I thought. So, when I got home, I checked the charging system. Only 13.2V to the battery @3Krpm. The book call for 14.5v-15.6v @ 3Krpm.

Reading the manual, I learned how to check the stator, well all 2 of them in this dual charging system. Dual stators, dual rectifier/regulators. The stators checked good. 75acv @ 3Krpm.

The rectifier/regulators are the issue. If the rectifier side goes bad it won't charge. If the regulator side goes bad, it will over charge.

One of the rectifier/regulators plug was corroded. It had gotten water inside the plug. I took them to my friendly Kaw steeler and he checked them with his special checker and they both checked good but when I reinstalled them, I go no charge to the battery. I cleaned the terminals very gently but found the corroded one had a loose terminal due to the corrosion.

My local Kaw steeler get $190. for one. So, I found a new one for $150.

The lesson is this. Unplug your rectifier/regulators, clean the terminals with some spray electric parts cleaner and add dielectric grease to the terminals.

MawKaw dropped the ball on quality control on this one. The battery I just replaced was not bad. $100. The Rec/Reg was not bad either. $150.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
There were some posts about coroded terminals due to water infiltration a while back, so I put the dialectric stuff in all my electrical connectinns on the wire loom that I can reach. Probably overkill, as the regulator is the on to most often be the problem since it is placed right behind the front tire. Yeah it gets great air flow,, but imagine how much water, under pressure it gets exposed to on a rainy wet road at speed.. Might be a better place for it to be located...

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Wonder how much trouble it would be to re loom the wires up to where the horn is mounted,, might have to fabricate a wirebundle,, but it would be worth a look, and still get all the cooling air it needed.. at least on the VN900.:)

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Since I have a VN900 and more or less haveto remove the regulator to ge tat the oil filter,, i check it every time I change the oil,, so far its still full of the dialectric grease I put it there last year,, no corrosion at this point. :)

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I have a VN900 and more or less haveto remove the regulator to ge tat the oil filter,, i check it every time I change the oil,, so far its still full of the dialectric grease I put it there last year,, no corrosion at this point. :)
Mine didn't have any dielectric in them. Kaw picked a crappy place to put them ( right behind the front tire) then didn't do a very good job of sealing the connectors and THEN no dielectric.
Just dissappointed I guess.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Mine didn't have any dielectric in them. Kaw picked a crappy place to put them ( right behind the front tire) then didn't do a very good job of sealing the connectors and THEN no dielectric.
Just dissappointed I guess.
Just Go to any good auto parts store and buy a tube of the stuff, its cheap, far cheaper then complaining about a bad design, and then having to fix it later.. :shock:
A 3 oz. tube of the stuff will handle all the connectors you can get at on your bike and you will have enough left over for another bike as well.;)

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just Go to any good auto parts store and buy a tube of the stuff, its cheap, far cheaper then complaining about a bad design, and then having to fix it later.. :shock:
A 3 oz. tube of the stuff will handle all the connectors you can get at on your bike and you will have enough left over for another bike as well.;)
As I stated in my original post...
"The lesson is this. Unplug your rectifier/regulators, clean the terminals with some spray electric parts cleaner and add dielectric grease to the terminals."

I would never be"complaining about a bad design, and then having to fix it later.."

I was complaining that MawKaw had not done it in the first place. Sorry if the way I worded my post was confusing. I didn't think it was. I was offering advise to others with similar plugs located in similar water prone places.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Well they almost got it right by putting the unit out where it could not over heat, and but where else would it fit, and not get cooked like on the VN750's they stayed dry on the vn750, but wer often destroyed by heat. The environment on a bike has got to bo one of the worst to plan for an engeneer.Its either too hot, too cold or too wet, most of the time. Things were sure a lot simpler on the old bikes,, not that i want to go back to those days. But there was a lot less to go wrong on the older bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.