Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, Im DC., I have been looking at dirt bikes ever since i was young. and now i am 18 and I WANT TO START RIDING! im getting my first bike very bye the end of this week., a KLX400SR.I never rode before and know exacly where are the brakes, clutch and throttle,nothing more. i am nervous of riding cuz im scared of fucking it up on the first ride. my friend has almost the same bike.he told me the first time he rode he went from Neuteul to First and let go of the clutch to fast and his bike flipped and he twisted his anckle.

Can I get some expert advice of the what not dews and dews?

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, take the MSF or Dirtbike MSF course and then you should get on a bike, therwise you're gonna mess up your bike instead of theirs and then you're out a lot of money

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would take that course but it cost like 400 bucks . i just want some instuction on shifting and like how to start the bike and put it to one.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

spend the 400 bucks - its worth it :wink:

bike controls are better shown how than told how 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i migth go for the course but i dont have the time and money this ummer, i dont even know for sure if im making enuff to keep the bike. but i know i will get the bike anyways,

·
Registered
605 Posts
all I have to say is...Smart

Well, I guess if you're not going to no matter what someone tells you, I'll give you the basics so you don't kill yourself.

Starting
A few things to do, not in particular order
1. Kill switch to On
2. Fuel Petcock(s) from off to on
3. Ignition On
4. Neutral Indicator light on, now roll it to be sure it's not a false indicator light
5. Hold in clutch, hold down starter button, blip a little throttle if needed

Shifting
1. Practice rolling back onto your heels then letting the clutch out until you find it's "friction zone" this will pull you forward a little bit, too much and you'll go jolting forward, rack yourself maybe, and stall the bike

2. once you've got that down let out the clutch a little, give it a little gas...when your RPM's are at a good level, roll off the throttle all the way...now pull in the clutch and kick up one entire notch to second, now let out clutch slowly while adding throttle, just do the same for other gears.

N
(6)

You can reach neutral from first by kicking up 1/2 kick
You can reach neutral from second by kicking down 1/2 kick

If you need to know more such as countersteering I suggest at least picking up a book like motorcycles for dummies or find a friend with a copy of the MSF (which btw is only 165) in most places, and that'll teach you enough on a street bike to do some dirt riding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where are you looking to take the MSF course at. I just took it about 2 months ago and it was only 90 dollars. I would assume you would take it somewhere in Northern VA or Maryland. I took mine in VA. I dont know if prices are different for different parts of the state but i took mine in Winchester since it was the closest that had open spots. It was a haul from Arlington but it was still a nice ride there. Good luck

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm glad to see you starting with a dirt bike before a street bike, but that's a pretty heavy and powerful bike for a first bike. Why not get something smaller? That way you'll be less likely to mess up an ankle, and you'll have plenty of money leftover for that MSF course.

In my opinion, dirt bikes are generally more rugged than street bikes. They get knocked over a lot more, and are less likely to suffer damage. But still take it easy until you get used to it. And I would suggest the MSF course and top notch gear before you buy the bike.
Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the bike 6 days ago.i allready got over 500 KM on it, im taking it easy not revving it so it can brreak in correctly. its really a fun ride. One of my friend has been motocrossing and racing since he was 6 years old, he told me it was an awsome bike,very powerfull. I let him ride it and in less than 30 seconds after he first got on it he allready pulled some kick ass wheelies. that really impressed me. and im going for my liscence tomorow and and in a week im taking that msf course.so ill be set to go

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Glad to hear you are taking the MSF course. Worth every penny, and good for 15% off your insurance for three years too! :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the update. Have fun on that bike. It's in your blood now. Don't let your friend pressure you into doing something stupid. Just get used to the bike, and you'll know when you're ready to do some tricks. Have fun!

Now you're ready for one of life's viscious lessons. That bike is going to cost you some serious money: purchase, MSF, gear, maintenance, repairs, etc. And you're going to have to work to earn enough money to afford all those expenses. But when you're working so much, you're not enjoying the ride. Isn't life cruel?
Curt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts