Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my carbs all cleaned up (just the lower stuff by taking the float bowls off) and I've got my engine running on my 1979 KZ650 SR. The problem is that it will sit and idle at around 1000 RPM, but as soon as I give it just a bit of throttle, the engine jumps up to 4000 RPM and just holds there even when I let off the throttle! To make things even more crazy, when I operate the choke (ie give it more choke) it revs the engine up like a throttle!!! If i pump the choke a few times and then turn it off, it will fall back down to 1000 RPM but will shoot to 4000 if i give it gas as I said before. How in the heck is this possible???? I didn't mess with the choke or slides at all when I cleaned the carbs. I am absolutely baffled... :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
605 Posts
hmm, it might just be luck or you could have a kink in your throttle cable :) but I'd go with the second, as for your choke, you only need it to start the bike, do not ride with it on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't think it's the throttle cable because when I let off the gas the slide lever returns all the way to it's minimum position. Also, I know the choke is only for starting, but I thought the a choke would always just kill a warm motor, right?

·
Registered
605 Posts
what do you mean, kill a warm motor?

If the motor is warm already you don't need choke...if by kill you mean shut off, then just use the kill switch, that is what it is there for after all.

P.S. just because your throttle grip goes all the way back doesn't necessarily mean that the cable is returning fully, I know most have some play

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean that if your motor is warmed up and you just happen to decide to put the choke on full (not something you would normally do, but let's just say you did) it should just stop the motor because it will be starved of air.

·
Registered
605 Posts
some do, some can run rich the entire time and just drive like crap, then again I don't know how I could accidentally put it on at all unless I was goin for the blinker and missed by a few inches :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts