Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem? I bought my used 98 1500 last July and rebuilt the carb and one of the things I replaced was the Accelerator Pump Diaphram because it was delaminating and cracking. I recently started to experience a fuel leak around the accelerator pump plunger and took it apart only to find that the new diaphram is doing the same thing after only 2000 miles! I use 89 octane fuel and fuel additive, Kawasaki will do nothing about it.
These are going for around $50.00 a pop. here is a picture of the one I just removed.
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p277/riverat2000/?action=view&current=DSC00095.jpg][/URL]

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
My thought looking at your pic is that the additive doesn't like the diaphram material or it was old and hard out "of the box" but if that was the case it should have been obvious when you took the new diaphram out of the packaging.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Googled this info, too bad they don't make leather ones.

Accelerator pumps – in the good old days, accelerator pumps were made from leather. Somewhere along the way it was determined that accelerator pumps could be made much cheaper with neopreme, rather than leather skirts. BE (before ethanol) the neopreme pump would last maybe 3~5 years, while leather will last indefinitely. Neopreme pumps used with ethanol will fail rather quickly, while the leather pump will still last indefinitely. If at all possible, purchase kits with leather pumps. In fact, if your old accelerator pump is leather, try soaking it in light machine oil rather than replacing it with a modern neopreme pump.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
You said it failed after 2,000 miles. How much time was that? Diaphrams etc in modern carbs are made to stand up to ethanol. It's not the issue it was made out to be. Apparently your pump diaphram excepted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed a new one the last week of July 2009, and this is what it looked like seven months later at the end of March 2010. I do not think that is acceptable. Afterall this part is made to survive in a fuel enviroment, and for charging 53.00 for a rubber washer type thing as big as a quarter, give me a break.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So am I the the only one experiencing diaphragm breakdowns like this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts