Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of Mikuni accelerator pump carbs for my '75 Z1 900. While these are not the original carbs for this year I'm told they will work great.

Is there an actual performance gain by having an accelerator pump (I haven't ran mine yet)? I understand how it works, but I've also read it was added to run the bikes leaner and reduce emissions.

Just fishing for some thoughts. :)

Roland

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the only think the accel. pump will do it help on take off/initial throttle response. it only adds fuel when you first twist the grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, from what I've been told it's more of a mid range boost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The accelerator pump will pump gas whenever the throttle is twisted. Fuel is pumped thru the pump nozzle just about every time you shift to a higher gear, because usually when yer shifting, yer closing & then opening the throttle to increase speed. The more vigorously it's used, the more fuel you get. The bench test for the accelerator pump on the VM24's is thus (& may be the same for other carbs w/ the pump): with the carbs removed from the bike & an auxillary fuel supply connected, pump the throttle cable pulley - fuel should squirt out of the pump nozzles straight back through the carb & it should clear the jet needle. A good time to do this test, obviously, is when you're setting the service fuel level. If the fuel doesn't squirt properly, the nozzle orifice or passages may be clogged. The nozzle orifice is tiny, hence the wisdom of using an in-line fuel filter.

The accelerator pump is used to compensate for a lean condition which everybody knows was mandated by EPA & other US govt. agencies. At idle the bike will be lean to satisfy the regulators. The accelerator pump helps to compensate for the lean-ness by supplying additional fuel upon acceleration & it is more miserly in supplying fuel than using larger jets. The jets will supply more & more fuel as the throttle slides are raised, whereas the accelerator pump only supplies fuel when the accel. pump diaphram is actuated.

Shipwreck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to highjack this thread but I have a friend trying to rebuild some carbs off a 79 LTD 1000B and can't locate an acell pump diaphram. Any suggestions ?
Thank you

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
marq76010 ,

Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for answers...Got lots of FRIENDLY and KNOWLEDGABLE people up here.

Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts