Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the great thing about forums is the fact that many folks will gather that have an abundance
of knowledge and experience that they will share with others freely.
when asking for advice and information one must remember that you will obtain answers
from many different people and those answers are given in good faith based on the
personal experience of that person-the same may not apply to you
one may use this information to make well informed decisions about a particular subject
but never should it be taken as the gospel.

advice is just that advice-it is generally an opinion,not a etched in stone rule to go by
requests for information should be addressed to those who have real world and hands on
experience with motorcycling

one will sometimes get answers from individuals who are not riders,do not own a bike,
have never ridden a bike,and have no real experience or knowledge
BEWARE! this can lead to mis-information which is very dangerous in the world of motorcycling-especially with regard to mechanical questions and riding technics

consider your source of info before making hasty decisions or trying something out
look carefully at the person responding-do they ride? how long?
do they own a bike?-how much seat time do they have?
some of these questions are hard to answer but folks giving advice will usually
have or be able to give ceratin qualifications that will indicate they have been around the block a few times.

advice/info that comes from tv,magazines,and 2nd hand is many times innaccurate
and can lead to more trouble than if you try to rely on personal experience

so remember-look closley at your responces and try to determine if the person giving them is capable of a valid answer from personal experience as opposed to something
they heard but have not tried or something they saw but did not touch or something
2nd hand they have not verified.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I 2nd and 3rd bikeaholic's motion to be careful what advice you do take and look it up a few places on your own just to see what youf ind out

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Great Advice

Considering the source is a major issue. Reading magazines will give you advice from 3 or 4 professionals and that is pretty valid as they are not getting paid to push one product over another. Reviews of product I have found are very honest. I liked. I didn't like...and they tell you straight. New product rewiews... I'd like to see some custom airshock company making airshocks for our state-of-the-ARK Ninja500R and Ninja250R. bikes an to hell with all the rest of the shock conversions and trouble setting them up right. There was a head and piston change between the ZX-6 in 2003 and 2004. an dthe 2004 zx-10R was advertizing the first production bike to use titinium valves, when in fact the Suzuki GSXR-600 was using them too. Perhaps the Ninja500R and the 250R will go this route. IF honda can put an efi system on a 50cc bike ( a total of 7 or 8 moving parts) then why cant we find some serious changes and even have mapping changes put on newer ZX-6R/RR for newer riders...it could also be set up not to allow the engine to over-rev, then once broken in could be set for the operator as his confidence grows...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I fourth and fifth Bikeaholic's post.

Think it can be obvious who has actual experience and knowledge and who just know's some guy who did X or Y.

I do have reservations about magazines articles though on one point, yes they are a valuable source of info and comparason between bikes.

However they are professionals who spend their lives on bikes and may have forgotten what it's like for a new rider starting out. I have often had chills reading an otherwise great review suggesting that a 100hp bike is a good choice for a beginner.

I get my info for beginners from MSF instructors who see day after day what beginners are able to do or not.

So choose your source for info wisely, don't ask a cruiser guy for advice on wheelies and don't ask a Ninja rider how to polish chrome.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
So choose your source for info wisely, don't ask a cruiser guy for advice on wheelies and don't ask a Ninja rider how to polish chrome.
HEY! I know how to polish chrome... just not from my bike, its from my friends '57 ford. I could tell you how to polish aluminum too!

I gotta agree with ya here too bikeaholic, the source is as important as the information.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

hey-and i know how to wheelie :shock: :lol:

but i'll need freakinout's bike to do it :p

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
hey-and i know how to wheelie :shock: :lol:

but i'll need freakinout's bike to do it :p
I don't think my bike will wheelie, not without abusing my clutch really really bad.... which is one more reason I never let anybody ride my bike!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Wheelie

sure it will wheelie...and no abuse tothe clutch...you need pegs on your rear axle and shift ALL of your weight as far aft as you can...a little throttle and some clutch...But it IS not really a good idea for a sport bike without reinforcement...and Although I wouldn't do it on anything bur a dirt bike...Not even on yours...!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts