Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, winter's coming and I am planning an iron butt ride for next summer when the kids' schedule allows. I have always liked long hours of travel whether bike or car, so this suits me pretty well.

Short version:
Several options but I think I am set on two. Both slab and no major cities. One is a straighter shot, but the other has more terrain and cooler landscapes. Any input?

Longer version:
I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I80 is a straight shot past Lincoln to York Ne. and back.

The other is through Wisconsin and Minnesota barely over the SD border and back. The benefits here are better terrain and touching MN and SD with a cycle - "new" states for me on a bike. Draw back is more wild life, though I am not sure that is much of an issue in late June / early July.

Any input?

Also, any iron butt tips? Making this part of a longer trip is not an option at this stage of life. It is iron butt ride and back home the next day to coach a game of drive to practice or whatever ....

·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess it would also be wise to find a way to like a windshield before then too, right?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It will definitely help, as will earplugs and maybe music to listen too. Contrary to many beliefs you don't need to travel fast to do 1000 miles in 24 hours, just constant travel. If you're roads in either case are 65-75 mph marked you'll be just fine. June 23 is usually Summer Solstace, longest day of the year. But I plan my long trips a weekend or two after the 4th of July. People go on vacation right after school lets out or right around the 4th. Hopefully you'll miss the big mass of folks driving on the highway that way AND have the most sunlight, which will help with wildlife detection. I ran out over Kansas. Deer, antelope and stinkin COWS are not uncommon on the highway. Ok, I can't remember the last time I saw an antelope in Kansas but I've seen more than one cow on the highway.

Then, ride, fuel, bathroom, hydrate and ride. Powerbars for food and remember to eat lite the nite before. Nothing worse than having to stop for the morning constitutional when you've got a tight schedule. If you don't have to eliminate at every rest stop, you're not drinking enough water. Dihydration is easy on a motorcycle and will wear you out fast OR just make you really goofy. Not a good thing. The shield will help with that BUT wearing your jacket will help more. The less exposed skin will keep you from sun and wind burn. Make sure and treat all exposed skin with sunblock. Consider a FF helmet if you don't already ride with one. Just more protection BUT hotter. I used a Bell Shorty, could have used more protection in the mountains at night.

Enjoy, document, and send them papers in.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Those guys are spot on.

The windshield will help with your fatigue, this is true. Without one, you will be in a hurricane (75 mph or so) for 16 hours.

One of the biggest things is attitude. If you depart thinking "This is really going to be a long day", "I am really going to be hurting after this one", "My poor backside is going to feel the wrath", it won't be long before your mind takes over.

If your a competitive kind of guy, go visit the IBA list of finishers and see what they accomplished the rides on. Some bring a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Some have done the run on a street / trail bike, just think of that wide, plush seat! One on a Honda NS50 (50cc)! :eek:

For a side note with all of my runs, when I got home I map-quested and printed out the routes between gas stations and sent this in with my paperwork. All the people that check and verify routes and rides are volunteers, just trying to help them out.

Number your gas receipts to help you out later when you're getting your paperwork in order. I kept mine in a zip lock bag, last one on top, so you know what number is next.

Good luck on your run! Keep us posted!

·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Water is probably what I am worst at. I'll have to watch that.

On my first trip to the Pacific in the late 80's, I learned after a 600 mile day in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas the value of wearing a jacket and helmet in the sun!

Did anyone get a room for a few hours sleep? Like leave around noon and finish the ride in the AM?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I did my 1000 miles in sixteen and a half hours of nearly non-stop riding, but in retrospect, I could have choose a different start time and indeed gotten a hotel room for four, five, or six hours. I didn't realize that it's not quite as difficult as I expected and I just wanted to keep moving.

I wrote about my Iron Butt and posted it on this forum.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/118096-iron-butt-part-two.html

Dep

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well I myself would rather have some scenery , which leaves Nebr. out, and in this great state of tax me to death you are required to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ah, ok, cool! I've taken both your proposed routes many times and I'm not sure which one is better for an SS. I would definitely check the road construction and avoid the route with the most lane closures and stuff like that (hopefully there won't be any).

When I was on the return leg eastbound I saw that the westbound side of I-80 had slowed traffic for miles due to construction and I was terribly glad I'd gone through that section at night when there was no lane closure. I would have been frustrated to no end to have been forced to ride through that stuff on my way OUT!

Dep

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I did a bun burner1500 from Lexington Ky to Salt Lake City, spent 5 hours in motel and still made it under 31 hours. Return trip 2 days later I did a Saddlesore 1k in less than 15 hours and spent 12 hours in motel.
It was easier than I had envisioned, my biggest gripe and most time consuming problem was gasoline capacity. I could only run roughly 140 miles before filling up, the guy I rode out with had a BMW and could easily have gone another 100 miles on his fuel.
My next one will be with a 5 gallon fuel cell under the tail trunk or instead of the trunk.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I stayed in a hotel for about 4 hours BUT I was doing the 1000/1500 mile thing on the same trip. You may consider doing it as well. Get past the 1000 mile part, get a signature, then sleep for a bit and then take off for the rest, you get 36 hours for the 1500 mile ride which you'll already have 2/3rds of done.

16-17 hours is not un-usual for the elapsed time. Leave at 4 in the morning and your done by 10 at night. Sometimes not a good idea to get up earlier than normal, it's generally hard to get sleep before an event and then waking up early doesn't help. I normally get up at 4:30 and have no trouble getting to sleep so that wasn't a factor for me. I also erred in taking in the sites. I went up Pikes Peak. When you're on a timed trip taking 3 hours to go 38 miles (19 up and down) is NOT the way to do it. I also rode a canyon route on my trip. Having a GPS tell you that your destination is only a 1.5 hours away for about 2 hours doesn't help. As is I got over the 1000 mile mark with about an hour left of the 24 hours. Stay on track and don't dawdle.

One other thing, when you get up in the morning take some Ibuprofen. If you're a little feller take one, I took two. Make sure and take a dose every 4-6 hours. It will help keep your joints from going all aches and pains.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Thanks for the input. Water is probably what I am worst at. I'll have to watch that.

On my first trip to the Pacific in the late 80's, I learned after a 600 mile day in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas the value of wearing a jacket and helmet in the sun!

Did anyone get a room for a few hours sleep? Like leave around noon and finish the ride in the AM?
Well what I did.... I got up around 3am. Which isn't as bad as it sounds since that is when I get up for work. Showered drank my coffee and was at the gas station about 4am. I tried to stop about every 2 hours for fuel and butt break. I kept the speed around 70 most of the day.

It was already said, but number your gas reciepts. Makes it easier. I made 2 meal stops for about a half hour each. One around 9am and one at 5pm.

If you have riding pants wear them. I did just for an added layer of padding. And as others have said a windshield will make a HUGE difference.

Move around a lot on the saddle to keep from getting sore.

Before you knew it I was done. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Most of all have fun. Its supposed to be fun remember? LOL As for the route I would take the one with better scenery and new states. But I am trying to ride the lower 48 before I kick the bucket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Mr Clean. My advice would be to take the scenic route. Slab riding is fun, but can be boring after a while. Also, earplugs are a must or you're ears will be ringing for days after you get off the bike. I would also recommend a gel pad or airhawk. These extend my ride my hundreds of mile.

·
Flash Frozen
733 Posts
hey

Well, winter's coming and I am planning an iron butt ride for next summer when the kids' schedule allows. I have always liked long hours of travel whether bike or car, so this suits me pretty well.

Short version:
Several options but I think I am set on two. Both slab and no major cities. One is a straighter shot, but the other has more terrain and cooler landscapes. Any input?

Longer version:
I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I80 is a straight shot past Lincoln to York Ne. and back.

The other is through Wisconsin and Minnesota barely over the SD border and back. The benefits here are better terrain and touching MN and SD with a cycle - "new" states for me on a bike. Draw back is more wild life, though I am not sure that is much of an issue in late June / early July.

Any input?

Also, any iron butt tips? Making this part of a longer trip is not an option at this stage of life. It is iron butt ride and back home the next day to coach a game of drive to practice or whatever ....
I live in the war west subs of Chicago ....Oswego

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I live in the war west subs of Chicago ....Oswego
Hey Freeze, have you taken home that new Victory yet? Are you loving it?

Sorry for the momentary hijack. Good luck on planning your ride Alek...sounds like you're getting lots of great advice from these guys. It's making me want to do it!

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts

Get a big camelback, you can drink and ride, makes a great difference.

·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the great info.

As I continue to look at the maps, I am leaning towards a loop ride instead of out there and back.

1182 miles is up to Sioux falls then down along the Missouri to Omaha, then home. 1000 mile mark in western IL.

Problem is, that there is better loop - up through St Paul to West Fargo, all the way down the Missouri to Omaha, then home - 1432 miles. With a small adjustment I am over 1500.

Just can't semm to leave well enough along. 1500 in 36 hours .... hmmmmm :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.